XS400 Simple Scrambler/Brat

t8erbug

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I'm cooking right along with this little project I thought I'd better make a dedicated build thread. Nothing Major for this XS400. Frame hoop, seat, exhaust, tires, guages, general handlebar clean-up, extended swingarm, and some minor electrical. There will be other odds and ends but those are the major things that will change. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible as far as drivetrain goes only changing a few things to give the bike a new attitude both in form and function. This is what I have done so far in the last couple weeks since I've gotten it running.

Here's what I got done today. I made a frame hoop out of the stock "swoopster" handlebars. Not gonna lie.. that's about all those handlebars are worth! I'm glad I could make use of them somehow. They're 7/8" tubing just like the frame and have pretty nice looking bends in them so they fit the bill perfectly. I had bought some nice 7/8" tubing for the job but finding someone to bend it proved to be difficult. I have a guy near me that has a mandrel bender but 7/8" is just a size he never works with so I was out of luck unless I wanted to try another method (the sand method, the heat method, the lightpost method) buuuuuuuut I really didn't feel like screwing up my nice piece of steel when I knew I could make good use of my old handlebars. It worked out pretty well. I'm going to do some tidying up with the dremel and then throw some paint on it temporarily so it doesn't rust before I get it powdercoated.

I really like those tires too, and that is a 16" rear? More info about the tires, brand and sizes please, I just might keep my 16" rear wheel.

I really like those tires too, and that is a 16" rear? More info about the tires, brand and sizes please, I just might keep my 16" rear wheel.

They are Duro Medians. 4.10X18 (this is technically a rear tire) up front and 130/90-R16 in the rear. I've liked them so far although, they've gotten quite a few bad reviews. I think I'm just too happy riding the bike to care haha. If they roll I'm happy (for now). Not to mention they're about the only dual sport tire that has a size to match both the front and rear of our bikes. They'll do for now but someday, as the old bikes that use a 16" wheel disappear, I'm sure Duro will quit making them. I am still planning on swapping to an 18" rear as soon as I can find one.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words guys. Here are some more little updates from today. Emery clothed the crap out of the frame hoop and got it 90% there. Just a smidge more to go. Put a Shorai battery in it for now. It's for my other bike but I figured rather than let it sit in a bike that's not quite ready to go yet I'd put it in one that is. Seems to work great so far.

What a great idea using the old handlebars for the hoop, I never thought of that. I also replaced my bars, need to make a hoop and do something different for a seat. I also like the fuse upgrade. Nice work.

Lathed down the shock bolts yesterday to get rid of the second side since they'll no longer be needed. Today I worked on making a seat pan plug. It will be relatively tall with thin padding. I want the seat pan to have a lot of real estate inside of it so when I decide to clean up all the electronics everything will have a home. Also the stock seat pan has quite a bit of room because of the way it is mounted and I want to try to mount my custom seat pan in a similar way.

looking good! the rear looks bigger than 130 to me lol but could be the photos... reminds me of the monster tire on the TWs

looking good! the rear looks bigger than 130 to me lol but could be the photos... reminds me of the monster tire on the TWs

Yeah, it must just be the pictures haha. I wish it was as big as an old TW tire! Those bikes are so sweet. I've always wanted one too.

I'm having a small hiccup in the midrange and was thinking it could be a possible air leak in my old carb boots. I had visually inspected the old ones before I fired it up for the first time and although they were cracked on the outside the insides still looked solid. To try to remedy the hiccup I thought I'd start with the obvious possibilities first. I bought new carb boots because I knew it would be something I needed to do in the near future anyways. While I was in the carbs again I noticed some small debris around the jets. Most likely just dust from the air filters from sitting so long. I cleaned them up and threw everything back together with the new carb boots. The good news is there was noticeable improvement. The bad news is the hiccup is still there, just smaller. Could this be due to the old filters just not providing enough flow? Are the tiny jets that aren't removable the cause of this? Since I can't remove them I haven't been able to give them a really good cleaning.. The bike runs really strong in the low range all the way to the midrange, it hiccups at the midrange, then continues on to the high range. I've noticed if I roll off the throttle a little and hold it steady the bike will run itself through the hiccup and I can get back on it. If anyone has had any advise on some possible fixes I'd appreciate it!

I'm sure the bike is also due for a valve adjustment. I've never done this before so it's something I'm looking forward and dreading haha. Part of me wonders if a valve adjustment will solve the problem.

Back