XS400 Special -82, Building a scrambler of sorts...

Fogeljazz

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a sort of a newbie bike owner from Stockholm, Sweden, who recently bought an -82 Special (4G5).
It's in decent condition, but has been standing still in the po's garage for a couple of years. It has only got about 3000 km's on the clock and I paid 350 Euros for it (approx $430), so it seems as a fair deal.

I'm going to modify it into a scrambler of sorts, no major changes but some decent 50/50 tires (70/30 or similar can also work), new seat, handlebar, turn signals, tail light etc.

I've been looking around the forum a bit, and it seems I have the usual "old carb issues" :)
Since it has been standing still for a couple of years, the carbs are of course dirty. I've installed an in-line fuel filter to exclude any sludge coming from the tank, and cleaned the carbs a couple of times, but haven't got it running properly yet. It starts easily enought, on both cylinders but doesn't really want to hold a steady idle. It revs up at first, especially if boosted with a little starter spray, and then slowly dies. Sometimes it runs for 30 sec to a minute and then dies, and sometimes it dies pretty much right away. I guess it's a matter of fuel flow and that I need to clean the carbs again, and again. If anyone has any other ideas here, please let me know.

One thing that bothers me a bit, is that the starter motor "squeals" quite a bit when running, or actually more like when it disconnects. It's a kind of squealing, grindy noice that I'm not sure sounds very well. Do you know what this might be caused by?

I'll try to keep this thread updated as the build progresses, and keep some pics coming as well :)
The first pic is of the bike when we got it home and into my friends garage, and the other two are WIP-pics in the process of tearing off unwanted parts and test-fitting the new seat.

//Emil

IMG_20180124_130014.jpg
IMG_20180215_221204.jpg
IMG_20180215_221214.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Ditch those awful emgo pods on the carbs and put the stock intake and air boxes back on. It will solve most of your carb issues and run way better than any pod.

Welcome to the forum. Ditch those awful emgo pods on the carbs and put the stock intake and air boxes back on. It will solve most of your carb issues and run way better than any pod.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing that. Got the pod filters before reading up on the different issues that might come with them. They look good, but it seems they are not really worth the hassle.

If you are going to relocate a different battery in there you can run the factory H pipe and use some Unis if you want. Mine runs pretty good with that set up. I may go the rout of the factory airboxes though on my latest build.

In order to make that seat fit you will have to do some frame grinding and modifications. That looks like an ebay seat and they can work but there is some fab work involved. I have the same seat in black sitting in my garage.

I have the same seat on my Orange Bike, I had to enlarge a hole and drill one to match on the opposite side. That, along with the removal of the high brace bar will let that seat fit nicely. I use wing nuts so I can easily remove the seat if need be.

Update: Ordered new air filters for the stock airboxes. Decided to get it running using the stock intake and filters, and then start tinkering with pods etc if I still want to :)

A quick question for the collective: Any suggestions for off-road/dual-sport tires for the stock alloy wheels? Bit hard to find suitable dimensions for the 16" rear and 18" front wheels. Looking for a 60/40 or 50/50 tire.

Did some work on the bike today. Had the carbs cleaned, again. Installed the original airbox and filters and...She runs and holds idle! Not sure if that is because of the airbox or the third carb cleaning, though :) Attaching a short video of it running.

Still waiting for new airfilters for the airbox, the old ones are quite dry and seems to almost fall apart. Did some more measuring of the new seat as well, to determine how and where to mount it.

Awesome. Sync your carbs with a manometer and it will run even better, but make sure to adjust your valves first. If your filters are starting to fall apart wait till you get the new ones before running it more.

Awesome. Sync your carbs with a manometer and it will run even better, but make sure to adjust your valves first. If your filters are starting to fall apart wait till you get the new ones before running it more.

Ok, will do that. According to the PO, the valves were checked not too long ago before putting the bike away for a year or two until I bought it. Is there in the sound of my bike on the video that tells you that the valves need adjusting, or is it just routine maintenance? Eager to learn as much as possible about these lovely machines?

Hi guys! Long overdue update... The bike is running really well and I've done som cosmetic work on it. Luggage rack and rear light has been removed, and handlebar, mirrors, grips, turn indicators, seat and rear light has been changed. The subframe has been cut and fitted with bar-ends, and the rear fender has been shortened and moved up. Still on the to-do list is to shorten and raise the front fender, wrap the headers with black exhaust wrap, clean up the seat installation and maybe get some new mufflers. And she needs new tires, badly. I want some sort of 50/50 or 60/40 tires. Currently looking at Dunlop K460 120/90-16 for the rear and Heidenau K60 90/90-18 for the front. If you guys have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Not that easy to find dual-sport tires in the correct dimensions.

She passed the bi-annual inspection and is cleared for road use. Good fun to ride this little bike. Quite zippy engine, but you really have to work that gear lever if you want to drive a bit "active" and keep her in the optimal rpm range :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180610_163451[1].jpg
    IMG_20180610_163451[1].jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_20180610_163512[1].jpg
    IMG_20180610_163512[1].jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_20180610_163500[1].jpg
    IMG_20180610_163500[1].jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Looks much better. I like the bars and the new rear lights. Planning something similar with mine. Ditto on the tire question. I desperately need new rubber and also want more of a dual sport tire.

I like how you have personalized your bike. I have the same seat and I was able to mount it after grinding off the top of the frame bumpers and I fabbed a longer piece of metal for the front mount that goes under the frame cross bar there. it snugs the seat down nicely. I also removed the higher cross member seat support and drilled holes in the flat section behind the rear shock mounts which allows me to remove the seat easily with wing nuts.

Glad your on the road now:) Pete, This look seem to be the common look for most of these bikes now;) and many past years. It's now unusual to find a all stock factory bike.

Glad your on the road now:) Pete, This look seem to be the common look for most of these bikes now;) and many past years. It's now unusual to find a all stock factory bike.
I agree. It is the same with cars, a cool look comes along and fans rush to mimic them and that is good with me. I feel we add a little of ourselves into the picture. For me it's all about lowering them for my short legs. Stock, these bikes sit too high for me to ride and sit at stop comfortably. It is all about the individual. There is room for trackers and bobbers, and cafe racers,choppers,and scramblers...and yes, even stock bikes and. restos.

Hello again, guys!
Finally got some new tires on the bike. Went with Heidenau K60 90/90-18 for the front and Duro H904 1100/90-16 for the rear. Feels great and looks good.
p.s. Never mind the sloppy seat installation, will fix that soon :) d.s.

Attachments

• xs400_front.jpg
    xs400_front.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 387
  • xs400_rear.jpg
    xs400_rear.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 424
Back