Xs400 vs 1100 ?

member11511

XS400 Member
Reaction score
was curious if anyone could offer up some comparisons between the xs1100 and the xs 400.

I'm thinking of moving up to an xs1100 at the end of the season. But I've heard there are a real pain compared to the xs400. I've heard they are terrible in turns, lean like shit and brakes are bad.

Anyone care to chime in?

I had an xs1100 briefly. It's a whole different animal compared to the 400. It's more like the XJ bikes with the shaft drive and inline 4 engine. Actually almost everything about them is more like the XJ series than the XS series. They are definitely a larger and heavier bike. Mine had a big windshield on it and was nice to cruise down the freeway with. It was smooth with plenty of power compared to the 400.

The brakes were fine on this one. And I didn't ride it hard enough to tell you about the handling in the corners. It made it through them.

xs11.jpg

I decided against getting the xs1100. Everyone I talked to about it basically said they took everything fun about the xs400/650 and took it away. And made a heavy, bad turning bike with poor brakes. Friends suggested I stick with the small xs400. its nimble, light, well balanced and alot more fun.

The main reason I wanted to upgrade was is that I was stick of constantly repairing my xs400. I would get running, but it would only last a day or so before something else broke on it. I've basically been restoring the engine for the past two summers. I will say the major flaw in this bike is the use of rubber in its components. Last month, one of the rubber carb needles went. So i had to wait to get those parts. beginning of this month, the petcock needed new rubber seals and a diaphragm.

So when i looked into the xs1100 it seemed like it didn't have the same problems. But like I said I decided against it. I'm going to keep wrenching on it until I finally get it running. I'm hoping to finally get some riding time in soon. Then I'll look at getting second bike with fuel injection and no more repairing. Haha although there is a 1952 harley panhead for sale up the road, and I may end up where I left off, fixing something I barely get to ride.

Do you guys have second bikes with fuel injection?

I just sold my 89 Honda Pacific coast. I would tell you if you want a good constantly reliable older bike get a Honda. I had zero issues with that fuel injection shaft drive. start and go all the time, run at 8o mph all day long and do it again tomorrow no issues. I prefer Carbs personally because yes they take so fetling but once they are sorted I can work on them all day long. be careful you don't develop MBS. (Multiple Bike Syndrome) it's sometimes bad when you have a relationship you enjoy.

i actually suffer from new wife syndrome and about to suffer from multiple bike syndrome. I tell you it's hard trying to balance it all.

Especially when you tell your new wife of only two months that your spending the a nice perfectly good Saturday AWAY from her.

Hopefully my petcock parts came in and I can ride tonight. I'll let you know how it goes Kyle.
You ride a Honda? No wonder your so friendly. You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Hey drewpy, i put my new petcock kit on but now my gas pours out of my tank like s facet. The leak is coming from the bolts that bolt the petcock to the tank. Any remidies?

A dirt cheap bang for your buck bike is the Suzuki bandit 1200, I picked mine up for 2k. It has plenty of power, very nimble for its size, capable brakes, and the engine has been used in the gsxr line since the 80s. The bike is practically bullet proof and won't disappoint in the canyons.

It's a great bike for the price. The engine has jam nut valve adjustment (no shims!) and it's a very comfortable ride, I put 700 miles on mine in a weekend no problem. They are also not that desirable for modifying so they are normally easy to find stock. they are not as fast as say a hayabusa or a gsxr 1000, but I'm sure it would blow the doors off an xs1100. My friends Ducati sport classic 1000 has a hard time keeping up:)

Back