xs400/xs650 sprocket interchange?

ahale2772

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys,

anyone know if the front sprocket of an xs650 will fit an xs400?

Im looking to buy a offset sprocket from gary poh (he makes offset sprockets for xs650's)

im gona be running a 180 rear tire so im thinking ill need an offset sprocket

thanks

180 tires? How much offset is the sprocket? You need like 30mm offset i think and you need to offset the rear aswell.
Anyways XS650 wont fit im sure, you can check wemoto.com they have schematics with measurements of the sprockets they sell.

thing is im going to run a swing arm from an 06 cbr, so i dont have a clue what the offset will be. the swing arm is super wide so ill have to offset the front sprocket as much as I can untill that 180 is reasonalbly centered.

I dont want to run a jackshaft....I dont want to run a jackshaft.....I dont want to run a jackshaft......im gona just keep saying that till it sinks in LOL

this may be a dumb question but is there a specific type of chain that our bikes use? (dont know if there is a name for the type of chain). I know the stock front sprocket on a 400 is 16 teeth but im going to step up to a 17 for clearance issues.

just want to make sure i dont get the wrong thing...

edit:
(to clarify im wondering if its a 520...530..640) im guessing its a regular 530 non oring?

Last edited:
Yes, a 530 non o-ring is what our more knowledgeable members say is all we need on our 400xs bikes. A couple of days ago I did see a listing for a 520 o-ring chain designed to fit (clearance-wise) on bikes that didn't originally come with an o-ring chain. Don't have the link right now but you could probably find it in a search.

I would have some concern that the 520 would be wide enough to fit on the sprockets. Mikes XS sells a kit to convert XS 650s to use a 520 chain, but it requires new front and rear sprockets. Personally, I would stick with a non-o ring 530, and keep it cleaned an lubed. DuPont Multipurpose is great stuff, dries....dry (non-sticky) and sheds dirt.

Back