Yamaha XS400 Wiring Diagrams

Attachments

• universal wiring diagram.PNG
    universal wiring diagram.PNG
    212.8 KB · Views: 3,825
Thank you so much wallster! Grate job! This is what im going to go with when i rewire my bike this spring! But i will remove the stock controls to simplify the bars and the wiring!

XS400_1977_Wiring_sm.jpg

mine? headlamp main and dip speedo light, rear/brake light, horn, starter, am ok with those all fitted wired and working from battery, alternator is also wired to rectifer and voltage control box wired to field coil, but not yet to rest of cicuit, all that needs to be done is recfifer earth to frame and feed (red) to battery. The thing that is puzzling me is on Haynes Manual diagrams with all rest of junked wiring the brown from/to? the VCB is shown conectted to live load circuits whereas on servey diagram shown here it goes direct to earth???

So I am doing the rewiring on my 1982, and I found this little gem and I was wondering if anyone knows if it will work on my 400. Mainly the question is are the hook ups on the ignition and reg/rec the same on the 650 and 400:thumbsup:

A diode is like a one way valve for electricity.

it stops any feedback coming back through the headlamp relay set-up you guys have in the US.

so you don't need it for it to work, but there may be other repercussions too

question for the wiring gurus...maybe I'm missing something. If I make a new harness and lay it out on a board like Drewpy did, how do I know how long to make the wires?

Last edited:
question for the wiring gurus...maybe I'm missing something. If I make a new harness and lay it out on a board like Drewpy did, how do I know how long to make the wires?

just slightly over estimate. If you read the text I put stickers down and recorded the item it connects to and any extra length needed, so you don't need a massive board.

most connections happen to within 100mm of the frame barring the headlamp bucket

Here's how I wired my '77 XS400 Cafe Racer project (kick start only). I was able to use my stock handlebar controls and when the kill switch is in the off position it cuts the power to the coils, the lights, and the horn. The only drawback is the brake lights don't work unless the lights are switched on. It wasn't a concern for me since I only leave the lights off when I'm kick starting the bike so they're not drawing from the battery.

Wally

XS400_1977_Wiring_sm.jpg

Hey Wally, I'm doing a tracker build (kick start only) with ep34 relay and LED signals. Did your harness work well for you and where would be a good place to plumb in the signals?

Can anyone explain if there are any problems with connecting the rectifier before or after the main fuse.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back