Yamaha XS400 Wiring Diagrams

hi just bought a xs400 to cafe, its an import and although i have the registration doc, im not holey convinced on the model, as i need a wiring diagram,ive inserted an image it would be grate if you could help. p.s im a new member so not familiar with site set out yethttp://www.xs400.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11679&stc=1&d=1370806819:banghead:

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJIYE9qUcNkr0BRRsyCW5z!~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16VHJIYE9qUcNkr0BRRsyCW5z!~~60_12.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,757
Here's how I wired my '77 XS400 Cafe Racer project (kick start only). I was able to use my stock handlebar controls and when the kill switch is in the off position it cuts the power to the coils, the lights, and the horn. The only drawback is the brake lights don't work unless the lights are switched on. It wasn't a concern for me since I only leave the lights off when I'm kick starting the bike so they're not drawing from the battery.

Wally

XS400_1977_Wiring_sm.jpg

Hey Wally, I'm using your simple diagram on my '78 and I'm confused about the connection from the alt. to the volt regulator. I don't have a green or red/black tracer on my regulator. My stator only has 3 whites and 1 yellow as per your diagram. Could you please clarify the connections of these two components. Thanx.

Yeah, i took the sprocket cover off and took a photo of the lower rear of the alternator cover.

Fyi, i have an 81 with electronic ignition (non points model)

I like having a "wiring diagram" site, but the best wiring diagram I found for my 81 is in another thread, and I don't know how to move it to this thread. The diagram is in a message from "ThePsuedoMonkey" dated 04-29-2012, "Re: no power to headlight, cant trace problem".

Does anyone out there have a diagram for a 77 xs400D? I know there is one on the first page of this thread, but it is wicked blurry. A colored one would be awesome. I attached a pic of my bucket with some holes for LED indicator lights. I'm doing all custom switches--I'll create a thread on the build when I'm finished--prob 3 more weeks. Thanks all!

Attachments

• bucket with LED holes.jpg
    bucket with LED holes.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 1,770
Hello there....I'm a newbie to the site. I really like this thread on wiring diagrams. I have a 1980 XS400 with the electronic ignition. I want a bare bones wiring harness. Headlight hi/low, tailight, and horn. Do I have to use the ignition unit (black box, 4"x6" size)? I have never attempted cutting down the factory wiring before. Any advice will help.

Here are the diagrams that I am using to do my bike. I started with the German diagram and then split it up into individual wiring tasks.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• indicators.jpg
    indicators.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,852
  • ignition.jpg
    ignition.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,540
  • horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,488
  • headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,541
  • charging.jpg
    charging.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 5,798
  • brake light.jpg
    brake light.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,803
Hey guys so i just finished up a re-wire and removed the starter motor as many of you have to lighten up the bike. I'm running a 12V 5ah sealed power sonic battery i picked up on ebay. Getting ready to run the fuel lines and get her running but wanted to get some eyes on my wiring diagram to see if anyone picks up on something i may have missed or wired incorrectly. its a 1980 xs400g 3F8 while the TCI reads 3F9.

Attachments

• 1980 XS400G Simplified Wiring Diagram - Color.pdf
    199 KB · Views: 1,095
Back