You may be an XS400 owner...

...If you've spent an afternoon increasing main jets and messing with the needle height, and wondering why the lean misfire is getting worse and ocurring at lower RPM's, despite the 155 main jet. Only to realize you've been raising the clip on the needle!

...If after dinner you go to change into your "dirty" clothes and your wife asks what you are messing with now on "that bike"?

...If you've ever asked your neighbour to tailgate you down the road so they can tell you what colour the exhaust smoke is...

...If prime time TV has been replaced by hours of searching this fourm, every night!

...If you've spent an afternoon increasing main jets and messing with the needle height, and wondering why the lean misfire is getting worse and ocurring at lower RPM's, despite the 155 main jet. Only to realize you've been raising the clip on the needle! ...
... If you read something like the above :confused: and can't even begin to understand what Dave might be talking about, :shrug:.
Yet, you will take a carb apart knowing, purely on faith, that the members of this Forum will get you through it in spite of yourself - and without being the least bit (well, maybe a little) judgmental. :thumbsup:

-If you have said "thats it last $100 I'm putting into this thing, it will run or I'm filling tank will fuel oil and fertilizer, dousing it in gas and then shooting it with an incinerary round."
-If you have used the search function to get a bike running only to change your mind and say screw running I'm turning it into a chopper running or not.
-If your friend who owns a Harley tells you "I'll stay in first gear when we ride so you can keep up. After you get those carbs cleaned of course"
-If youre pissed off that a previous owner ruined the pilot jet on the left side carb
-If that "one" part, bolt, nut, wire, seal, bearing, was here she would be running!!! Only to get the part and something else is broken in the process of installing or it was something else.
-If you have called into work cause your parts will be here today and this is the day she lives!!! Only to find out the box that came is some bs your gf ordered and you spend an hour tracking the package to find it at the post office and they wont deliver till tomorrow, so you go get it to bring home(its late afternoon now) and now gf wants her time cause you promised to build her a gd flower bed so you say screw it and call in a 2nd day and the gd bike still dont run and your gf is pissed at you cause you hacked together her flower bed trying to get back into the garage before all daylight is gone the next day the gd bike still dont run cause you missed some crap in the carbs the third time you cleaned them. (ok I totally made this one up but I can see it or similar happening LOL rest all happened) I love this bike someday :bike:

261652_10151658413151153_848822738_n.jpg

Picture says it all :bike:

If you have a hard time finding parts cause most of them are obsolete.:banghead:
Its cheaper to buy a complete engine than to buy a camshaft if you can find one.:(

If you bought it with the intention of getting her running. then after a good $300+, countless hours in the work cave and on the internet searching forums and for parts to finally get to ride it twice for 3.1 miles to have it run good, start on its own then go to start it again and it runs like garbage. I just rode it!! WTF happened?!? so back to the lab and internet again :banghead::banghead: to find out wth you did wrong this time and why it runs good then wont run and finally runs like garbage again. Those gd carbs!!! So off to search function! So then you buy a Honda 650 nighthawk from the same guy who sold you the xs. SO now your intentions change from getting her running cause you want to ride to it to I'm getting her running so I have two bikes that run LOL I love both these bikes I was hooked from first ride on 400 and not having to mess with 650 OMG this thing is so smooth. Think I'm gliding on air LOL

If you have excitedly read a 4 page forum post from start to end because it sounds exactly like what your problem is and so there is a big discussion about it with a few varying opinions that carries on and the original poster does NOT post what fixed the problem or if they fixed it at all :banghead:

...if you've asked the girl at the Motor Services how to have the bike correctly identified on your title and you can explain in detail why THAT letter does not belong there.

...if you tell your kids it's nap time because mommy needs to pull the carbs...again.

...if you kids are upset because you can't make cup cakes/muffins cuz the tin is full of carb bits.

...if your 22mos old can correctly identify a flat head screw driver, a #10 wrench, and the metric allen wrench set in a pile of miscellaneous tools.

...when you've spent an evening printing and highlighting several copies of the wiring diagrams so it's easier to follow.

Back