Zacks Cafe!! Almost done!

cougarlb4

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Well by the pics here you will see that I obviously been on these forums a ton. So Helpful I cant even tell you. had this bike for about two years now and fell in love with the bare bones bike and also the guy that did his variation. Nothing new on it just another version of the style I liked. But I love how it turned out! Here are some Pics lemme know what you think. Still need to do something about the side covers. I hope to use a smaller battery and hide electronics over the winter.

Attachments

• 2012-07-16_18-22-10_952.jpg
    2012-07-16_18-22-10_952.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 587
  • 2012-07-16_17-54-41_576.jpg
    2012-07-16_17-54-41_576.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 584
  • 2012-07-16_20-23-45_582.jpg
    2012-07-16_20-23-45_582.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
Give us the details on the seat and tail light. That light almost looks like it is from a Suzuki GS500.

That tail, tail light, and seat are almost identical to the one we hand made from 16 gauge sheet steel for our 1980 XS400 cafe build. I'll bet the light is from a vx800. Good job. It looks great!

Yes i pretty much copied the other rear section in the other thread. Its very well documented on that thread if youyou want moreto info. The seat pad is 4 layers of carpet pad glued togather on a piece of sheet the metal and shaped. Then i riveted and streached vinyl over it.

That tail, tail light, and seat are almost identical to the one we hand made from 16 gauge sheet steel for our 1980 XS400 cafe build. I'll bet the light is from a vx800. Good job. It looks great!

Must be interesting to see your design recreated! Hope it doesn't bother you at all. I love the bike you guys built and couldn't help but make one of my own.

Hell no, it doesn't bother me at all. As I noted the build post, most of the astetics of the design in our bike was lifted from Bare Bone Rides. Their seat was similar to ours but with the more classic blunt cafe "cliff". I wanted something where you MIGHT be able to have a passenger. If you go to their site you can find their original bike. They are great guys and were generous with their advice.

You might find it hard to find a place to put the license plate though. I finally wound up with a rear axle mount since there was no room under the tail light.

Best of luck with your build.

Update:

Here is a link to the video:

1 New Picture and a Video:

New speedo and tach.
19 Degree exhaust angle.
New rear suspension.
removed front Fender.
New sprocket combo.

Still have to tackle the battery. Im hoping to convert to kick only and really shrink up the battery size. I think Ill ride it for the summer and take that on next winter. anyone with kick only have a link to the battery they used? Also new front tire once I can ride it to a shop!

Attachments

• photo (9).jpg
    photo (9).jpg
    240 KB · Views: 464
I used a 5 lb AGM scooter battery from Wal Mart; it has lasted 2 seasons so far. I am waiting to see if it will go for a third.

Where did you pick up the speedo and tach?

Speedo and Tach are from mikes xs. There is a similar one on Amazon but the back light is different. Made that mistake. The ones on mikes are like a glow instead of just a light behind. They look killer and I think the ratio is right yet I haven't had a chance to test it. I am thinking about using this battery with kick only.
http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-Per...d=1361148365&sr=1-1&keywords=ballistic+4+cell

Speedo and Tach are from mikes xs. There is a similar one on Amazon but the back light is different. Made that mistake. The ones on mikes are like a glow instead of just a light behind. They look killer and I think the ratio is right yet I haven't had a chance to test it. I am thinking about using this battery with kick only.
http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-Per...d=1361148365&sr=1-1&keywords=ballistic+4+cell

I had one of those and killed it recharging.

be careful about how much it charges as anything over 12.4 volts will kill it too.

That's nothing the bike would do is it? Just external chargers? Thanks for the heads up.

sorry i meant 14.4 volts :doh: i used a bike charger and it worked first time. with these LiPO batteries you really need an expensive balanced charger.

I went back to my 2.3 amp alarm battery for £7 delivered, last about 1 season.

Back