1978 XS 400 Cafe Racer from Germany

ThomasLoco

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:),
my name is Thomas, I'm 23 years old and IT-ecomics-student, located in germany right next to the alps:cool:.
I ride since I'm 18, when I started on a Husqvarna Supermoto.
My bike for daily adventures is a 2014 Triumph Street Triple R with lots of mods.

I would like to show you my current project, a 1978 XS 2a2, which I bought last year and started rebuilding over the winter.
I'm not quite done yet, lots of details and technical stuff.
Mainly the dropping voltage is the problem, which I can't solve at the moment.
The rest is stuff like carbs cleaning, ignition etc. (shouldn't be an issue)

So here is a little list of the things that are changed/new so far(I'm sure I forgot the half of it:whistle:):

-Fehling handlebars
-Fork-rebuilt with progressive springs
-Telefix forkstabilizer
-brake-rebuilt with Melvin Stahlflex-brake lines
-Daytona Velona speedometer
-full K&N Airintake
-Spokewheels from a RD250 + Conti ClassicAttacks
-1981 swingarm for drumbrake
-new bates-style headlight
-electric charge regulator
-LiPo battery
-Motogadget turnsignals
-Brembo PS12 breakpump
-Koni or YSS rearshocks (got both)
-bellows
-new clutch + lever
-shortened frame
-Tarozzi footpegs
-conic short exhausts
-aluminium front fender
-new camshaft for full power
-new DID chain & sprockets
- custom seat & rear
-sky blue paintjob
-LSL Clubman grips

I hope you like her.
It's my first built and I had to teach me everything by myself during the process:D
So be gentle with me:confused:

Best regards from germany

Thomas

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 38.jpg
    FullSizeRender 38.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 529
  • FullSizeRender 39.jpg
    FullSizeRender 39.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 559
  • FullSizeRender 40.jpg
    FullSizeRender 40.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 539
  • FullSizeRender 41.jpg
    FullSizeRender 41.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Great build.. proper stuff :) my question is: where did you get that bigger camshaft in europe? I have also restricted version. From US?

Great build.. proper stuff :) my question is: where did you get that bigger camshaft in europe? I have also restricted version. From US?

Yeah, just look on ebay for camshafts. I think they wered used in England to.

Last edited:
Looks Great! Very well done! I was very interested in the Tarozzi rearsets. I've looked at them but was under the impression they didn't make them for the XS400s. Am I wrong or did you adapt them from another model? They look like they've addressed all the problems I couldn't get around, like a cutout for the rear brake shaft!

Thanks guys!:)

Looks Great! Very well done! I was very interested in the Tarozzi rearsets. I've looked at them but was under the impression they didn't make them for the XS400s. Am I wrong or did you adapt them from another model? They look like they've addressed all the problems I couldn't get around, like a cutout for the rear brake shaft!

The baseplate is cut from 8mm alumium. The footpegs + levers are from Tarozzi.
If you ned a template, here you go;)

http://xs400.net/wb/pages/technik-f...ndplatten-fuer-zurueckverlegte-fussrasten.php

Thanks, I made some plates last winter but wasn't satisfied with them. Maybe I'll try again with this template this winter. Until I'm satisfied with the plates there is no need to worry about pegs and levers.

Hi and Welcome Thomas, you have done a really good job, on your 400, and you say you are self taught too? I myself have too many bad habits, after working in the motorcycle industry (Norton-Villiers-Triumph, R&D dept, for five years)
Considering that you are self taught, your work is extraordinary, and looks well planned in advance?
Well done Thomas

Merlin

@MerlinDudley
Yup, I started out with zero prior knowledge, bought decent tools und just went for it. I didn't do any planning beforehand, just looked at a lot of pictures on instagram and all sorts of Cafe Racer websites to get some inspiration. It's more of a process, sitting in front of it, picturing all varieties and deciding for one.
a little help from forums and the good old workshop manual did the trick so far:laugh2:

Thomas

All the more Respent for you then Thomas, As I said I have a background in the motorcycle industry. But, my first effort at a conseptual build, didn't even come close to your build, both in Aestetic's or the technical aspects.

Merlin

Back