1978 XS400-2E Fuel Tank Bolt question

nevernotbusy

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So I've discovered that the bolt holding down my tank, near the seat, isn't a Hex bolt, but actually a hollow thread bolt. I'm guessing it's reverse threading. Not sure if any of you have run into this, or if the previous owner replaced the original bolt with this for some reason.

Any thoughts? Here's a photo:

Unfortunately I have to re-tap the inner thread after a bolt lots its top. My plan is to re-reverse thread it to 9mm and crank it out using a 9mm bolt. Feel free to chime in with ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

• yamahabolt_.jpg
    yamahabolt_.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 414
You might be able to get an 'easy out', I live by a fleetfarm, and bought 3 to 4 bits, of the smallest, and the next not so small one. There are lot of thread with that same issue. just take your time, lots of PB Blaster. I ended doing the same thing with my stator cover, 2 bolts heads got snapped off, after exploring my previous options, I took it to a machinist, whom I had work on my bike before this, and he drilled it out, put in helio coils, and a 6 weeks later I was back to my home, I was able to pick it up, and finishing assemblying my bike.

Hey thanks arfstrom. I was actually alerted to the fact that the tank isn't even fastened down at the moment, what I was looking at was the cavity where an 8mm bolt sits, and I was thinking it was a bolt itself, when in reality its just the frame poking up from the rubber.

I thought so, but I would never tell your wrong. I tried to find that rubber boot, for my bike, Its not out there anymore. So I am using a sparkplug boot. it just keeps that quiet.

Back