For Sale - 1982 Yamaha XS400RJ Seca, Many Nice Customizations

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
22k Miles. $1300 for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY. Craigslist Ad (photos) - http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/4615957033.html

I’m an intermediate rider of five years. This was my first bike. I’ve done a lot to make it better and remedied my own mechanical mistakes along the way. Honestly, I’ve put more into this bike than one should. That’s just sort of how being a new rider goes when you love your bike :)

The Good:

- ridden regularly, never left to sit for more than two weeks
- valves checked and in good standing
- 3 month old iridium spark plugs
- newer battery, only six months old
- drilled out front brake rotor
- “Fast from the Past” (.com) three-piece fork brace
- Racetech fork springs
- tinted Kawasaki KZ aftermarket bikini fairing with professionally matched paint work
- LED signal, brake and license plate bulbs + replacement blinker (resistors not required)
- Hot Grips (.com) heated grips with basic lo-off-hi handlebar switch
- Emgo Napoleon bar end mirrors
- 17t front sprocket (stock is 16t and I wanted lower RPMs while on the expressway)
- standardized non-vacuum petcock with on/off/reserve settings
- weatherproof smartphone mount + frame mounted USB power port
- 45 degree external pumice/mineral based fuel filter with clear shell
- pre-season fully synced carburetor
- ATC blade fuse block replacement
- custom removable/optional passenger backrest
- newer chain with minimal mileage
- Works Performance (.com) rear monoshock
- Avon AM26 Roadrider tires: front two years with almost no tread loss, rear brand new minus chicken strips (I took it to a track day)
- Athena gasket kit: some installed (no leaks!), others at the ready
- digital format (PDF) complete factory shop/maintenance manual

The Bad:

While this bike’s never been downed at speed, I’ve dropped it twice … once in my garage and another when turning very slowly while applying the front brake (doh!). What can I say? I was a new rider during both instances and that was more than four years ago, so obviously she’s still more than functional. The damage isn’t obvious: left mirror casing slightly scraped, left exhaust pipe pin-sized ding.

She’s definitely a clean bike with intact paint but the side plastics (by the seat) have taken some damage. The black dots on either side are vehicle plugs. The right side has a .5” x 2.5” bit missing that’s concealed by the seat. It also has a vinyl washer in place of a click-on connector that works reasonably well and is also visually concealed. I learned the hard way that they needed to be disconnected before removing the gas tank.

Back