6 Volt Bulb???

hardtailed77

Never Finished
Reaction score
Got a random question....

I just got a steal on an awesome headlight for my build, BUT....it's a 6 volt light, instead of 12 volts. Is there any way possible to run a 6 volt on the XS? It is a sealed glass light, so simply changing the bulb is unfeasible.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't trust the 2nd one as its for guages which don't draw much amps.

tractor sounds ok, mine is sexier though :D

they work by heating up to dissapate the voltage. I's ask what amps it draws as it may overload the charging system. just ask all the questions you can think of to the vendor!

Photos of the light mentioned......It's an old GE light. Has "MOPAR" on the top of the trim ring, so I'm assuming it originally came from an old Dodge or Chrysler of some sort. I think I got a pretty good deal on it at $2.25 plus $6.00 for shipping!!! It's about 6 inches in diameter including the trim ring.

Attachments

• 100_4036.JPG
    100_4036.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_4037.JPG
    100_4037.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_4038.JPG
    100_4038.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_4039.JPG
    100_4039.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 203
Well shoot then! I thought maybe you had used the one that you linked. lol I guess I will try to grab the tractor one above. I sent the seller a question asking the amp draw, so I will wait to hear back from him, then I will see what you think Drewps.....since you're a knowitall kinda guy! haha JK

Good Score. Will make a cool headlight. Did some checking. Unity Manufacturing. Website: http://www.unityusa.com/
Might be able to get 12v lamp instead of 6
Yeah, I may look into that really....I'd like to have a non-sealed lamp so I can replace bulbs instead of trying to find lamps. I definitely want to keep the amber, but would love to have a H4 type bulb inside.

like i said for a light(not for a motor) you can put a resistor like .50 cent in serie

i will work
I can't find any resistors that would seem to handle the light. The only ones I could find were for gauges, and only draw 0.4 amps. It seems to me that a fog lamp would need more juice than a gauge light, but I'm definitely not an electrical guru, so I may be completely wrong.

You could buy a 12v bulb for your housing.I had to buy a replacement sealed beam for my Dt400 Yamaha dirt bike,and at O'reilleys,they looked in a Wagner book,and found a 6v.Most of the bulbs were 12v,and there were colors listed. lha:bike:

You could buy a 12v bulb for your housing.I had to buy a replacement sealed beam for my Dt400 Yamaha dirt bike,and at O'reilleys,they looked in a Wagner book,and found a 6v.Most of the bulbs were 12v,and there were colors listed. lha:bike:
I'd have to buy an entire lamp, because it's glass sealed. I want to keep the amber color, it's the reason I bought the light. I've found replacement amber lamps for cheap, but they are all 6 volt...

Just hook 12v and watch how bright it is lol. Followed by factory smoke. That stuff is so dang hard to get back in.

its can definetly be done, we have done it to older cars with hacked 12v systems, putting them back to their propper 6v

that light is really cool,they used the same exact lights for WC military dodge trucks in the 40's, we have a few but they have a screen over the front so it makes a ^ type pattern...they were used as convoy ligths for running in the dark in the war...just follow the guy in front of you...if he runs off a cliff, so will you :eek:

I was lookiing through some junk this weekend and found two amber lights the same size off of my mini, they have the coolest glass lense on them with BOSCHE cast right into the front of the lamp in large letters, I bet they are 40's vintage

Back