77 Charging issues- help with stator

Jay

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished my cafe, and shakedown run definitely did not go as planned... had to uber home and fetch bike later. Voltage is not coming up when bike is running / RPM is increased. Bike is only running off battery.

Started with the stator. It passed (seemingly) both static tests. I had continuity, and minimal resistance across all legs. Dynamic test did not go as planned. I ran test a couple times, and came up with 0VAC across each leg.

I read some horror stories about guys messing things up trying to pull stator off end of crank/ needing special tools, stuff like that. But mine just fell off with the cover. Is this correct? Here are a few pics..

IMG_9287.jpg
IMG_9288.jpg

Just reviewed the service manual again, and I did not test the field coil. I will check resistance on that. and see what I get back

check all the wires going to the stator...... common problem is one broken causing issues.

I just checked both the stator, and field coil.

The field coil measured dead on at 4 ohm between the 2 green wires... i was 4.2 ohm

The stator itself, i believe i also measured dead on. On the stator side of the connector, I have 4 wires. On the regulator rectifier side I have 3. This also confirms correct to the wiring diagram for the bike.
So between the 3 wires that ultimately make it up to the regulator, I measured .7-.8, which is within spec.
But the 4th wire (the one that is empty on the regulator side of the connector, I measured .4 ohm

I moved on to the regulator. For some reason, my bike has a 7 wire regulator on it. The OEM one I believe was 5 wires. Can someone confirm this for me? The diagram shows the regulator and rectifier as 2 separate components. My bike does not have an OEM harness in it, so I have nothing to compare it to.

When I bench tested my regulator, I got no reading of anything, anywhere. No continuity, or resistance, in any direction. Im thinking my regulator is bad.

Back