77' XS400 (2E) project

Cyborg

XS400 Member
Reaction score
78' XS400 (2E) project

i am a newer member because i picked up this bike about two weeks ago and needed a source of information and inspiration which this site definitely has given me more than enough of both =] thx guys! :thumbsup:

i plan on getting this bike back in running shape and modifying it with a frame loop and brat seat of some sort.. an hid kit and projector lens, led tail lights and blinkers, and i cant decide either dirt bike bar or clip-on... wanted to do a sport bike slip on but have no idea where to start!:confused:

well first things first i got this bike for a great price,:banghead: from a friend... (self explanatory) has all the parts its suppose to have, i think... the clutch side cover was off because he couldn't get the kick start to engage, tank was off cuz he replaced the two coils and never put it back on still has gas in it which is who knows how old cuz the last time it was registered was 2007, :doh: wiring was all hacked up ! n for some reason the wiring harness going to the rear of the bike has nothing attached to it? idk what its for yet,

so the first thing i did was get the kicker in rite and tensioned and tried to see if i could get the motor to turn but with no luck, i pulled the spark plugs which were brand new never even run, to find out the right side plug hole was heli-coiled , then i looked into the cylinders and the right side was rusted tight cuz the exhaust port was open the whole time it sat... nice one ... the p/o was a smart guy... lmao:doh: so i put some sea foam and 10w40 motorcycle oil in the cylinder and planned on letting it sit till friday or saturday in hopes i can break it loose... pretty much it for now will update the next time i get at it which should be friday or saturday =] any opinion or advice is well apreciated in advance :bike:

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 332
  • battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 364
  • coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Welcome! Sounds like you have some work ahead. I'd suggest you hold off on any modifications until you have the bike running well. The search function will quickly become your friend.

If that piston doesn't loosen up with seafoam, try a 1:1 mix of ATF and acetone. It has been tested and proven to be better than anything else for penetrating and lubricating. And don't break the kicker, use the alternator drive.

Keep us posted!
Dave

Thank you guys, I will try the acetone and atf if it isn't breaking free, yea I deffinitly don't want to force anything if I can help it lol n I will look in the PDF manual I downloaded off the site n see if I can figure out a good place to work the motor back and fourth till she comes loose but deffinitly gonna try the alternator drive its 6am where I live n I just got home from work so I will update again this afternoon, once again thanks for the ideas =]

Slept all day so I unfortunately did not get to the bike today plus ihave to work 3rd shift sorry guys, tomorrow will be the day I get at it no if ands or buts about it =]

Well great news the sea foam and 10w40 motorcycle oil mix worked =] bad news I I had. The plugs out when she broke loose so the mix shot out of the plug hole all over my leg n boot , oh well it was well worth it!

I'm gonna go strait to working on the bike, hell wit sleeping today! I wanna finis. Either the carbs or wiring anything I should watch out for on the carbs or wiring?

i decided to tear into the wiring and idk where to start the inside of the headlight is a rats nest! the rest of the wiring is wrapped so i cant follow wires feels like im beating my head against the wall at the moment....

The headlight isn't too bad. Initially I labeled everything before pulling it apart. Flag both ends of each butt connection with masking tape or something. I use random symbols; stars, clovers, and moons :) Then when it comes time to put it all back you just match the symbols!

I guess numbers or an actual description would work too, but it's less fun!

Thanks I spent hours going through the entire wire harness and generally everything on the bike a once over including the Carb.... only to find that the mount in the case that the kickstart slides into was broke off n sitting in the bottom somewhere, idk what to do this throws my whole project into question...

Yeah I got it for a price that would be considerable for a parts bike anyway, so ho hum I guess now to find a bottom end or completely different motor to swap, but I could have my step dad tig that pics back omit I can get it out of the case...

Welding aluminium after it has been exposed to and absorbed engine oil is difficult. You will need to boil the case in a water based degreaser for quite a while, and a couple times, to get it clean enough to weld. And you will probably need some machining done once it has been welded. Not saying that it can't be done, just that it might be worth finding another engine...

Well I have a buddy that will sell me a 1979 2v6 bottom end I need to know if it will bolt up to my 2g5 top end, if any of you guys could answer that would be greatly appreciated cuz that would put my whole project back in order =]

Back