78 XS400E Daily Rider

dan s

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Gents,
Found this baby in eastern PA on Craigslist for $500. The PO had no clue how to do anything on it and rode it around with a nasty backfire out of the left pipe. Got it home and pulled the carbs but no good. It turns out the timing was really far off. So after a quick adjust it worked. Drove it to work for a couple of weeks and topped it out at 85 mph downhill. :bike: Also got it registered collectible for the super cool plate and redid the old ripped seat cover. Then I took it on a road trip to the beach with some 600cc sport bikes and I couldnt keep up. Had lots of trouble and lost like a quart of oil. Parked it like a month ago and now Im here. Pulled the head and found the pistons caved in. :banghead: :yikes:

Me:

lKJSKlz.png

10422912_10204118890795574_3248794665951537864_n.jpg

10435540_10204118891875601_443058867672864997_n.jpg

As she sits now:
Note super cool plate. (Please dont use it to find me...)

ZQQx7x5.jpg

chQCBIq.jpg

Blown pistons:

JeF7oZv.jpg

cvISW0m.jpg

Parts I got for the resto:
Oil seal set, gasket set, carb gaskets and jets, and used pistons from ebay.

BuoQsnB.jpg

Id like to get it back together while there is still time to ride.
:thumbsup:

Super happy with it though.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Can't see all pics. I would spec the bores on the cylinders first. You may need over-sized pistons. A used set of pistons is not a good idea for a rebuild. Your better off finding a donor motor that runs good.

Hope you can see the pictures now. The pistons were only $50 so I think Ill stick to them. They should last a little while. :wink2:

Running a bit lean there! The stock exhaust headers are double walled so if you are getting that kind of discoloration those interior pipes must've been red hot! Good luck with the rebuild hope it comes back together good for you.

That bike was running way hot. There is a guy on ebay that has new standard rings for sale. I would at least hone your cylinders and use new rings.

well. It looks like Mikes XS sent me two right side points. :mad: Also one of the bolts on the chain tensioner broke in half while I was putting it back in. Quick trip to the hardware store fixed that. Now to contact Mike. I guess Ill use the old one for now. Ill let you guys know when she's back on the road (need to get off this site). Happy trails!

Dan

Back