81 cafe RE-build from Qc

If your battery is charged, the sounds like the starter relay is not working. Or if the battery is close dead, it isn't giving the relay enough power to turn the starter.

Thanks Norm for the answer ! I'm charging the battery at this moment so I can figure that out.

If the starter relay isn't working the only solution to this is buy a new one.

On the relay, yes it would be best to buy a new one. Here in the states I was able to buy one from a local tractor supply store. The small riding lawnmowers use the same style.

Update

Wattup guys ! Today is a good day for 2 reasons !

First it's my birthday tomorow !

Second, there's more good news about my bike then bad news !

So i'll start with the good news !
* I don't think i'll have to change the relay. Because i let the bike charging for the whole night and this morning it started like a new bike ! IM SOOOOO happy about that.
* The other good news is that the bike is still runing ! :D
* ohhh and it's idling find !

Bad new
* Since i've put uni pods filter on the bike i'll need to do some carbs adjustment

Here's what the plugs look like on both side

If i compare to spark plug wear chart, the plugs looks like they are carbon fouled. But i'm not sure what it means !?!

If it were me I would be doing a rebuild after seeing that, but it does LOOK like the ledge the kickstart spring hooks into.

The plugs look fat, but before adjusting anything make sure you're not using choke excessively; using choke a lot will foul the plugs.

Happy birthday!

Looks to be part of a case. I would look to see what it is from. You can tell that it has rubbed on something for a while also:(

Backing up to your tank's woes. Managing the rust in your tank is easy, and it's the first step to keeping your bike's fuel passages in ship shape. Whenever you leave your bike for any length of time, fill your tank with gas. This keeps the rust from building up.

Also, install an additional filter on the fuel line as a precautionary measure. I hate pulling the carbs all the time for cleaning, and this solution works great! Cheap fuel filters are just fine. Personally I go with a more expensive, one-time buy: http://randakks.com/products/randakks-high-performance-fuel-filter

I use these on all my bikes. You never have to replace it, and it's supporting the business of a vintage bike performance enthusiast. It's the best option around (although I don't know about shipping costs to Canada).

Thank you guys for those answers !

Next time i'll have to change my fuel filter i'll look for one like this Sproutroot

Update

The oil change is done and the bike runs great.

BUT
* It's puffing black when accelarating
*And when the bike was warms the starter didn't do anything. And i have no kickstart so this is a problem.

When I first fixed mine up it puffed a bit of smoke off. It could be the rings, the valves, or the head gasket. Ride it more before you go nuts chasing it. I had all kinds of problems just because the bike sat for so long. I had low compression because carbon was causing the rings to get stuck in the pinched position instead of expanding, so you never know.

If you've been screwing with the bike a lot and just letting it idle without running it your battery might be low. Make sure the bike is charging and check your battery.

When I first fixed mine up it puffed a bit of smoke off. It could be the rings, the valves, or the head gasket. Ride it more before you go nuts chasing it. I had all kinds of problems just because the bike sat for so long. I had low compression because carbon was causing the rings to get stuck in the pinched position instead of expanding, so you never know.

If you've been screwing with the bike a lot and just letting it idle without running it your battery might be low. Make sure the bike is charging and check your battery.

allright ! Thanks BC for all those good advices ! I've only ride it around the block here so i'll ride more and check all this after !

Good idea. I think someone told me at one point that if you're riding for less than 30 minutes give or take the battery is likely not getting charged very much or is only being drained. The old charging systems on these bikes are not that strong and they don't really charge at all at idle; you need to keep them above 2,000 rpms or so to really get some action! An intense trouble-shooting session in the garage with lots of idling and starting using the electric start will kill your battery in no time.

Good idea. I think someone told me at one point that if you're riding for less than 30 minutes give or take the battery is likely not getting charged very much or is only being drained. The old charging systems on these bikes are not that strong and they don't really charge at all at idle; you need to keep them above 2,000 rpms or so to really get some action! An intense trouble-shooting session in the garage with lots of idling and starting using the electric start will kill your battery in no time.

ohhh ! didnt know that ! I think that's exactly the problem i met because i always had to put the bike on the charger to be able to start it after i've turned around the block 1-2 times to try the bike !

#1 I tried clip-ons; fun if you're on the bike for 30 minutes at a time. I'm getting practical as I get older; I try to find something comfortable that also looks good.

#2 Just try to be creative with the routing. I don't think solder is strong enough for a brake cable. Is there a fender loop holding it in place?

#3 See the manual for tips; it's an easy adjustment.

#4 Just turn the idle speed down a bit. I can reach mine while riding even with gloves on

Yeah, clutch adjustment is easy.

1) undo the cable adjustment screw at the handlebar to allow slack in the cable
2) remove adjustment hole cover
3) hold adjustment screw with a driver, loosen jam nut
4) turn adjustment screw with a driver until slight resistance is achieved, back it off 1/4 turn to accommodate tightening the jam nut
5) tighten jam nut
6) replace adjustment hole cover
7) redo the cable adjustment screw at the handlebar until there is approximately 2mm of play.
8) enjoy

bcware
Thanks for the reply again :D
#1 You're probably right on this one ! Clip-on looks good but aren't practical !
What kind of bar are you riding ?

I tought that putting my clips on over the top triple tree might help for the comfort. But the holes in the top triple tree are making this impossible :s

#2 I tried to route it in another way there was no more slack in the brake line making it impossible to brake from the front

#3 Yep that's right ! The manual was helpful but i needed a video because I'm not super good in english and didn't want to make any mistake !

#4 Yep i'll do so.

Lemonhead
Thanks for the answer ! Definately helpful to have a step by step procedure to follow!

Last edited:
Update

So as i told you in the last update i met some problem while riding !
#1 was the front brake line hitting the tire
#2 was back pain as soon as i start riding for 20 mins

So I might have found a solution for the 2 problems at the same time !

Solution : Raising my clips on was my first idea but the lip of the clip ons was too thick to put the clips on over the upper triple tree ! I then decided to grind like 2 mm of the holes in the upper triple tree.

Started from this

After grinding a little

VOILA !

Now it's fitting perfectly !

After grinding it i had to repaint it.
To remove the old paint i decided to go with this method !

Yep ! Soda blasting! I was suprised of how well this method works ! REALLY ! :eek:

The results after 2 boxes of baked soda

Boom ! I'm now ready to paint the upper triple tree ! I decided to use VHT roll cage matte black paint to do this ...

Results to come ....

Back