Anyone else work for a union?

brownie44

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the past 2 years i've been employed at a Union only shop. Last Thursday the contract was "opened" for negotiation between the union and the company. Since then things have pretty much spiraled out of control. 3 union employees have been administratively "let go" without rhyme or reason other than "not fitting in". Supervisors and other company employees no longer drive themselves to work for fear of their vehicles being damaged by union employees. In the previous 4 years there have been 8 write ups for breaking company policies, in the past week there have been 12.

This is the only union shop i have ever worked for. everyone else thats been here for more than 10 years acts like all this shit going on is no big deal. like its common place. i dont know what to think!!! i used to love my job, but now its like everyones on eggshells for fear of being stabbed in the back or something. it seems to me like its just one giant pissing contest between the union and the company.

has anyone else dealt with this crap? I simply don't get it.

Years ago I worked in the Carpenters union,the Union broke down fell apart and we had non union employees working with union employees before this happened.It was the same way People were doing things to other workers because of their own job security.It didnt get bad enough to where employees cars were sabotaged but the atmospere on the job became very negative and back stabbing.The $ was good but after 2 years the stress was too much.I clocked out one day and said I was going home sick to never return back.Some of the employees asked me if I was realy sick and i told them yes.Im sick and tired of working for this company.Then i went to work for family operated spring company which was nonunion shop but the people there made it hell for outsiders to fit in.You realy had to brown nose to get these people to like you.Needless to say that job only lsted about 8 months and once again I was sick and tired but to the point sick and tired of working for the boss.I became self employed and owned and operated 3 businesses.I owned and operated my own professional landcaping co out in pheonix Az.Then i moved back to my previous state Okla. and opened operated my own automechanic business.Moving to Missouri a few years later after learning the timber trade I owned and operated a small logging company.

The atmosphere can often be determined by the jurisdiction.
Brownie, where exactly is "God's Country". Going simply by that name it sure sounds like Canada :wink2: , but maybe you are in a "right-to-work" state.
If the latter, it's not always smooth sailing from what I understand.

Last edited:
Michigan is definately a Union state with BIG 3 automakers up here we have several.Our great govenor just made our state a "Right to work state"Working in Unions arent what they used to be.Long story short.

Back