Aussie newbie

piniin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
G'day, I'm Tony

after nearly a year without a bike and unable to determine what to get next, I happen to stumble upon a 1979
XS250, advertised in the local classifieds.
Unfortunately the owner's asking price was a tad rich for the condition of the bike, but I noticed he also had it listed on ebay starting at 99c, so I watched and waited patiently, before making a winning bid in the dying seconds of the auction, ( for less than half his original asking price, plus ebay had a 15% discount on at the time, win win situation ).

Now I am the proud owner of the aforementioned XS250 and as of this morning, it now sits, awaiting much needed attention, in my garage. She is currently a non-runner, with lots of bits in boxes, but I have been assured that it is all there, time will tell, I guess.

As for me, I'm a shotfirer by trade and have previously been a boilermaker for a major motor manufacturer, so I'd like to think I'm fairly hands on when it comes to the tools. Which is why I have decided to try my hand at building a bike.

Anyway, enough of my dribbling on, just wanted to say hi and commend you guys on the resourceful site you have here.

cheers for now,
Tony.

G'day Tony,

Welcome to the forum. Good win on getting the xs250.
All I can say is get stuck into the project and get that bike running ASAP - I have spent waaaaaaay too long getting my bike on the road and it is driving me nuts.

Cheers.

Cheers porky,

I had it a day (before having to fly back to work) and most of the bolt on user friendly bits have been removed and the tank has been internally de-rusted and partially sanded back to remove the paint chips.
But having just finished building a 300m2 house, that still needs the landscaping done and 3 kids (2 in high school), I have my work cut out.
Thankfully I'm on an 8/6 roster, so at least I get a decent break when I am home.

I have, however, started working my way through your build thread and it is very inspirational. I am now debating the 400cc upgrade too, with my folks still living in the UK, it may make sourcing parts a little easier than here.

My build inspiration has come from an Aussie bike.
I haven't found a build thread for it yet though,
maybe someone here wil point me in the right direction
image.jpg

Back