Battery charging helpful tips

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
!st of all if you don't know how to charge a brand new battery look it up on the or somewhere else on the web.
Do not listen to the idiots at autozone who will tell to just put it on the battery charger for 2-3 hours at full capacity.
Results will end up in frying your new battery.I learned the hard way but fortunately my battery was still under warrantee and I got it replaced for free.
The idiot at my local autozone has beena problematic employee by misleading people and giving them wrong information on how to charge batteries and not doing his job properly.Unfortunately he will probably be losing his job.
Do not use a regular car battery charger unless it has a low setting that's at 2amps or lower and charge for 12-15 hours.My my charger/tender will automatically shut off when charge is complete.

I'll add: Most new batteries come with an instruction manual. Read it. It's there for a reason.

Also, a $12 (edit: $8.99 on sale) Harbor Freight float charger is very handy for new batteries as well as keeping that older battery fresh over winter, so you won't have to buy a new one every spring. Just hook it up and walk away.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

Back