Votes: 2 40.0%
  • top-up with distilled water

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Monowakari

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
thumbnail_image1.jpg
Time for new battery or can I just top 'er up with distilled water? Apparently <1 year old as of PO. All the levels are way different and around 1/2 full or so.

Has died 3 times in the last week and a half due due to my cranking over and over while tinkering and not taking her out for a ride.

Other than when I cause it to die it seems fine, starts no problem on days I'm not tinkering on the bike.. Recently dropped to 11.5 volts (no load) and so charging up to ~12.8 again tonight. As long as she starts and reads ~13.8-14.5V when started and running around 2k rpm is it okay?

Cheers

I've never seen a battery need that much water after a year of neglectful use. Maybe 3 or 4. Is there a problem with the charging system?

You have 2 choices. Try it and see what happens. Replace it. I'd suggest replacing it.

These type batteries need to be kept full of fluid. I check level every 500-1000miles. The one in my 79 is 9yrs old. My 81 and 82 are 6/7 yrs. With proper service they can last a long time.

A little distilled water costs almost zero. You can always get a new battery if that doesn't help...

Funny thing, added no water but charged for a few hours and kept "topping up" the charge on tender and the levels are all right up to the bottom (min) fill line. I'll fill the rest with distilled water when I get the chance but, rebuilt the carbs, got the timing all sorted, readjusted valve clearances, new carb boots installed, putting her back together today to find out how she sounds.

Weird thing about the battery though how charging it raised the levels without adding water? Seems counter-intuitive...
Why would charging raise those levels? Or is that exactly what is supposed to happen...

Can post a pic soon

image.jpeg Compared to original is much better and even some minor charging since has raised the levels to about equal across the line, 2 are still low by a few mm's but charging alone raise the levels as much as in the photo and more!

I would loooove an explanation of the theory being this

Back