Bending frame rails on bike possible?

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am preparing another frame for my next project. I would like to use a solo saddle and drop the top rails a bit to form a "bucket shape" or slope the rails below the tank. I have seen this done by cutting and rotating the top rails and sectioning the frame rails below the shock mounts. Is there a way to bend the top rails to a light radius that might be done without using a welder, just by heating the tubes? I don't have access to a welder and would like to do as much of this build by myself as I can. The area I mention is shown by the yellow arrows, the top rails will be cut in the area of the red lines.

Attachments

• edit frame.jpg
    edit frame.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 268
You would have to cut the tubes, pack them with dry sand (wet sand will create steam and possibly explode), cap the ends and then heat the tubes red hot with a large tip on an oxy-acetalyne torch. Then, while still red hot, you could bend the tubes without them crimping or crushing. Not the easiest thing to do. This is why people cut out and weld in loops, hoops, etc.

I kind of expected that answer seeing as no one has a thread about doing it. I may just have to redirect my thoughts to a different style. Thanks for your input Dave.

Also don't forget that if you do somehow bend the tubes they are now going to be a bit shorter.

someone here did a bike like that it was a white/cream color old thread but a good read it was a shop bike cant remember the tread name though

Back