1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu's XS400 Brat Style

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blu, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Figured I'd start a build thread on this thing. Picked up a running XS400 pretty cheap and I'm gonna do a brat style out of her. Got a table slapped together and started teardown Saturday night. Gotta pick up some steel for the backbone (hopefully today) and I can start on the frame fab. For now all I've done is get the electrical out, tacked on a kickstand, removed the front fender, drilled out and knocked off 20170114_152154.jpg 20170114_193929.jpg 20170114_194132.jpg 20170114_210147.jpg the front tank mounts and cut the original rear tank mount out of the frame.

NAPALMROLLER likes this.
  2. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Here's the overall plan for the bike, for now at least....lol

plan.PNG

3. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

pics from last night

15977856_1302134143184830_5556305451745424665_n.jpg 16142187_1302133563184888_3110534307131914105_n.jpg

4. 81xs400sfttailbbr

81xs400sfttailbbr 81xs400sfttailbbr

PA
    Looking good, Love how you did the frame. Im thinking about doing that to mine

Blu likes this.
  5. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

The seat section is a little tiny but I worked with the bends I had. Can't decide if I want to run a sprung solo seat or make a pan and build up some foam in the dip area. Either way I'm probably gonna cover it in leather and basket weave the outside edge with some kangaroo lace. Won't be doing anything tonight on it, a friend in my riding club lost his dad on Monday so we're meeting up at my other friend Carr's place and driving to Indiana for the visitation tonight. Won't be home till just before midnight. Might take tomorrow off and get some more done on her...might not lol. Gonna look through some fenders when I get to Carr's, maybe I can make a decision on the rear hoop at least.

6. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Got a little more done this weekend, got the rear hoop figured out and tied the front tubes by the carbs back to the back bone. Still working on the seat mounts (gotta run to the hardware store) and I'm gonna cut up a CB750 oil bag for the electronics box. Making progress slowly.

Attached Files:

OleDoc likes this.
  7. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

After talking to Wino at the club festivus I decided to stretch the frame five inches. Got it cut and lined up last night, need to drill some more plug weld holes for the slugs (which are about 9 inches long) and pick up a short piece of tube for the backbone. I'll have to move the rear motor mounts forward which should leave plenty of room for a battery/electrics box behind the motor. Designed up some forwards in cad and will hopefully have those cut soon as well. frame_stretch.jpg

OleDoc likes this.
  8. OleDoc

OleDoc FREEBIRDS MC Central NY

looking good

9. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Thanks Doc, it's a learning process for me. This is the most modification to a frame I've done on a build. Finished the stretch this weekend and moved the rear motor mounts forward, re-mounted the seat and got it covered in some snazzy purple yoga mat foam too. I have to figure out something for an electrics box and I need to mount the battery yet but getting closer. New seals and covers for the forks came in the mail, new headlight is on its way as well. Should be able to complete the build by the 8th of August for our annual Moonshine run.

Attached Files:

10. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Got the engine cleaned up and painted this weekend and even got a ride in.

Attached Files:

NAPALMROLLER likes this.
  11. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Got the new electrical box mounted up and made a rear rack for it, got everything torn down and started the bondo on the frame. Wanna get the front end rebuilt with new seals, front and rear wheel cleaned, frame and swing-arm painted by end of the weekend. New stem bearings should be here by Friday so I'd like to be working on electrical by mid next week.

Attached Files:

12. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Ok, I'm going to run pod filters (54mm I think, can anybody verify that for me?) and no muffler. From what I've read on here that means I need to go up 3 sizes on the main jets and 1 one the pilot jets....is that a good place to start? What size jets would those be exactly? I think the stock ones are 135 main and 42.5 pilot but I'm not 100% sure. Trying to gather parts I'm going to need, I have 1 month to get her back together.

13. Tggraff

Tggraff XS400 Member

That is a good place to start on the jetting, but I would order the next size up and next size down just so you have them on hand. Nothing more frustrating than trying to tune and not having the right size jets. Also 54mm are what I used although I'm running a DOHC but I believe both bikes have BS-34's. With these carbs being CV style, they really like pulling air from a common plenum. I would recommend the use of some sort of H-pipe. Dave on here has a good post about what he did, or you could weld up your own like what I did. Either way It makes tuning more "linear" and enjoyable.

Blu likes this.
  14. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

I'm keeping that stock H-pipe deal with vent hose, will that work? I also bought new carb boots cuz mine appeared cracked in a couple places. As far as the jets go, what increments do they go up in? If my stock jet size is 135 is the next size up 136 or....???

15. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Jets go in 2.5 increments. So 135 then 137.5 and 42.5 to 45 and so forth. I would use uni type pods or REAL K&N on the stock H-pipe. You say no muffler? I would use some sort of back pressure for your exhaust as none will mean much less power for the bike.

16. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Ok, good to know. I ordered an exhaust tip for it but misread the listing so I need to order another or get an adaptor. I'll throw a baffle in for a little back pressure. I ordered a kit for the carbs that should come with everything I need to re-jet, bought one from the same place for my Vulcan and was very happy with it. http://www.6sigmajetkit.com/

17. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Well if you like them, I hope it works for your bike.

18. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Front end rebuilt

Attached Files:

19. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Frame and some other bits painted and back together

Attached Files:

20. Blu

Blu XS400 Enthusiast

Gut has been bugging me lately (reoccurring thing for me) so I didn't get much done last night.
    Gonna try to get the headlight bracket fabbed up, new kicker arm welded, kickstand shortened and new foot, motor in and pipes wrapped tonight.

Attached Files:

Hawkeye likes this.