Bobber project in Sweden

isigt

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm Jonathan from Sweden. Just got my first street bike, a xs 400 -82.
I've been riding motocross since I was a kid, had alot of different bikes but haven't ridden in a few years. Grew tired of pedalling everywhere and decided to get my hands on something fun.

My plan is to make a low budget bobber. First priority is to ride. Having a cool looking bike is important, but it should never come before the pleasure of turning that handle. :)

I have had some experience when it comes to building bikes, bicycles that is. Posting some pics of the builds, someone might find it interesting.

I've also started a blog, mostly for myself to keep track of what i've done.
http://xsfourhundred.blogg.se
But i'll post pics and stuff here as well.

I read some of the threads here on the forum, really nice to see people doing work on the same kind of bike. Keeps one motivated!

Posting some pics of the bike as it is now, stripped down. The last one of the bike is after some polishing, easy but time consuming. :)

See you around.
//Jonathan

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 472
  • n723105356_6369628_6436910.jpg
    n723105356_6369628_6436910.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 444
  • n723105356_6369625_5001430.jpg
    n723105356_6369625_5001430.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 423
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 418
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 417
  • n723105356_6369629_6429747.jpg
    n723105356_6369629_6429747.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 457
Welcome to the forum Jonathan....shit mate, just looking at those bikes is making my f**ked up back twinge in sympathy, lol.

What are your plans for the XS400 then...? Sweden is home to some amazing chopper builders, you must have seen some inspiration riding around to give you some ideas...

Caddy

Haha, yeah, people like to comment that it doesn't look comfortable, it's not the idea either. :) haha..

First i'm going to put on shorter shocks and lower the front end, chop the rear end off, make a solo seat and as of now keep the stock tank until something better comes along. Hoping for something similiar to the peanut sporster tank. Looking around for some old moped tanks, they are cheap and some are pretty cool looking.

I change my mind about the bars every day, but something different from the ones sitting on now. Either going for the dragbar or frisco bars. Had a crazy thought about putting some bmx bars on it, what do you think about that?

Orange paintjob on the tank and black out most of the rest.

First winter building, so gonna keep it simple and ready to assemble when spring comes around. New ideas will pop up as i ride, doubt i'll ever consider myself finished. :)

And about great builders in Sweden, we sure have some. The stuff i've seen is mostly harleys, but the more you look the more you find. :)

Some good ideas there for sure. There is some sweet looking scooter tanks around and I've love the shape of some of the 70/80's MX tanks as well like the Husqvarna's.

I'm not sure how strong BMX bars would be, but there are some cool MX bars like Easton or Protaper that make BMX influenced bars. I really like the Protaper Contour Raptors...if I had the money....

If you stuggle to find some shorty shocks let me know, I have some brand new Rebel shocks that a lot of people use on the Brat influenced bikes.

Look forward to see some build pics.

I found an old mustang cobra tank, bought it for around 15$
Haven't tried it out yet since my bike is 60km from where I live, in my dads garage.
But hopefully it will fit after some work. :)

I've had some thoughts about the volume of the tank, this one is 7liters (1.85 gallons) I think, what is the smallest you would run?

I think the bmx bars are strong enough, for sure. all im worried about is if they fit in the clamps. They can sometimes be very narrow at the bottom. I used to ride BMX and those bars are strong as hell. :) But I could always make a conversion, found this old harley made into BMX bike, haha. http://www.bikeexif.com/harley-wla-custom

What do you want for those rebel shocks? And how long are they? Im looking for 270-290mm.

Attachments

• 114683217_1.jpg
    114683217_1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 357
:) Yeah, I think it will look good.

Since I have my bike in my dads garage, 60km from where I live, I can't work on it daily. Which maybe is a good thing, I probably wouldn't get much else done if I could. :)

But today I couldn't stand it, so I took the train to the xs.

I chopped the rear end off, made a template for the saddle and made plans for a pedal for my kick. I'll post the drawing of the idea later.

Just sent a note to a friend of mine who is studying sewing, if she will be able to help me out with the seatcover. :)

I also have some trouble with the rear fender. Can't really figure out how to do it. But it will probably come to me. If you have any ideas, please share! All ideas are welcome!

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 382
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 360
Välkommen här i XS-Forum - du har mycket att bygg på din XS.

Den Basis är god, dina ideer også. Du är på den riktigt vägen.....

Om du är i Nörre-Tyskland du kan gärna besök mig på en kaffe eller andra drickor......

:)

Jonathan, the shocks are 270mm centre to centre. Somehow one of the shocks has a couple of shallow dents in the top shroud.

DSC02410.JPG

I really need to take better care of my stuff...

If you are interested send me a PM :thumbsup:

Thanks Reimar!
If i take my bike for a trip abroad i will make sure to stop by!

(drewpy, gtranslate i presume? :) )

Today i made a great find at a local flea market. I bought an old antique moicrophone which i will try to convert into a tail light.

I also bought some toggle switches that I plan on putting on a plate down by the clamps to work as a panel. I don't like the handlebars full of controls, so to clean it up a bit i'm taking all the electrics and putting it on a panel. No more electric start, i'm gonna stick with a switch for the light, blinkers(indicators), horn and maybe a kill-button.
Just a throttle, clutch and brake lever on the bars. :)

I also put together a list for myself with all the parts I need. :)

Cad, I pm:ed you. :)

here we go.

Last edited:
I also bought some toggle switches that I plan on putting on a plate down by the clamps to work as a panel. I don't like the handlebars full of controls, so to clean it up a bit i'm taking all the electrics and putting it on a panel. No more electric start, i'm gonna stick with a switch for the light, blinkers(indicators), horn and maybe a kill-button.
Just a throttle, clutch and brake lever on the bars

I'm with you on cleaning up the handlebars, I'm thinking about this myself at the moment.

I will throw up a new thread to get peoples ideas and not hijack your thread :D

Back