Broke my rusty nipple

Liamrdv

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
In an attempt to bleed my front brakes, I broke the top of the bleeder screw off , now I have a replacement for that but I am not too sure how to get the old one out, anyone have previous experience with something like this? I already have drilled into it , my
Bolt extractor isn't fairing too well against it. Anything helps.:banghead:

I haventtried one no, but all of my attempts with the spiral one has just cut into the metal , I'm afraid I might have to still through it but I'm not sure if anything in proximity will be damaged , thanks tho, any tips still help

Posted via Mobile

Update to this thread, I have now broken the extractor in the bleeder screws fitting as was my biggest fear, if anyone knows where I can buy a replacement caliper at a reasonable price I would appreciate it ! Everywhere I've seen is 260$+ American and shipping on top.:doh::banghead:

Posted via Mobile

Update to this thread, I have now broken the extractor in the bleeder screws fitting as was my biggest fear, if anyone knows where I can buy a replacement caliper at a reasonable price I would appreciate it ! Everywhere I've seen is 260$+ American and shipping on top.:doh::banghead:

Posted via Mobile

just fit a banjo with a built in bleed nipple

gas8mmBJObleedASSY_1024x768.jpg

Those bleeders are always a pain I feel for you. I have never had much luck with extractors either. It seems they always break off or you just end up shaving metal to the max thread depth. I have thrown away all of my extractors and stick with a good set of left hand drill bits. Be sure to use a battery operated drill when using them for extraction. You are able to keep a low spindle speed this way. Start off with a fairly small bit that will still take metal. Then step up to a larger bit that is still smaller than the minimum thread depth of the caliper threads. Keeping a very slow rpm apply an abundant amount of pressure. This will generally do the trick. If it does not back out yet, the walls of the bleeder should be thin enough with some patience a small screw driver and pick should pull out the remaining material from the threads. I have used this method many times on exhaust flange bolts and generally works in my favor. Good luck and stay patient. HTH

Posted via Mobile

I will try to weld a nut onto it but first I have to get this broken bolt extractor out of the hole somehow , thanks for the input guys, if any of you have an old caliper of any value laying around let me know , I will buy it off you before going to a dealer for these things

Pic attached is the caliper with the bit snapped off into the fitting

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 411
You can still try to salvage that caliper. There is a snap ring that holds the rubber for the piston just inside of the caliper. Remove it and pull the rubber boots off of the piston. Place a small piece of shim wood between the piston and back rest for the outer pad. Using a air gun put compressed air to the banjo bolt hole and keep fingers away from piston. This will push the piston out completely as if you were rebuilding the caliper. Then use a punch to knock out the extractor. And continue to try to get the bleeder out. If you are using the welded nut method with the extractor out of the way you can get a good bead in the hole.

Posted via Mobile

Thank you for all the input on this guys, unfortunately I left the caliper in trusted hands while I was at work and came home to find a hole drilled down beside the bleeder and right through into the casing, pic attached is of the newly screwed up hole in the caliper:banghead:

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 393
Drill it out and tap it for one of these. Not sure where to get one but if you google it you may find it.

Attachments

• gas8mmBJObleedASSY_1024x768.jpg
    gas8mmBJObleedASSY_1024x768.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 431
Oh man from bad to worse. You could try to tap the new hole and using thread tape just put a plug in. Or bolt. But make sure it will not interfere with the piston travel. Then just use that new hole as your bleeder. When bleeding you will want to take caliper off bike place wood between pads and hold the caliper so the new hole/bleeder is at the highest point to ensure all the air is allowed to escape.

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
This is the store for the bleed banjo: http://trialstribulations.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2410
$28 for shipping on a $14 part.
Might be available elsewhere for less.

Could always have the hole welded shut, then re-drill and tap the hole for a replacement nipple.
Or use a high-quality drill bit, drill a hole big enough to cover both holes, tap, and plug with a bolt.
Raider-Hansen carries some nice cobalt bits that I used to drill out the old exhaust studs in my 360.

Where are you on Vancouver Island? The motorcycle salvage in Victoria might have a replacement caliper. I've bought a few xs parts from them.

I feel for you. I have a front caliper with an equally frustrating nipple broken off in it. It is however sans "extra hole" :). I was having a devil of a time with it even with heat, pb blaster etc. it is firmly at home. I drilled a hole very much down the center of it so it would be a good candidate for drilling out to the next size bleeder. You are welcome to it if you want it.

Frankly though the best solution was just to go on ebay and buy one. I paid $20 for mine which far outweighs the frustration of dicking around with a stuck bleeder nipple.

Joe

Yamaha used the same parts over various bike models, so good used parts can be found. Sometimes it takes a little research and hunting. eBay is a good source.

thanks guys, so far I just left it for the last week or so and worked on other stuff, I'm in Campbell River by the way so North Island, but I have a brother in Victoria who can find one for me if so, I have just plugged the hole completely and am going to try to fill the brake caliper and line with fluid and see if I can just bleed it out of the caliper and master cylinder , makes a mess but it might just work, fingers crossed.

Back