Can I cut open my exhaust(see pictures)

Dennis Kakkenberg

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

Driving around for about 5000km and getting a little bit bored of low rev's sounds(there is actually no sound at all but the sound of the engine). I'd like to get a little bit more out of my standard exhaust.

Can I cut up my exhaust around the weld(black arrow) so the inner tube/silencer(red arrow) will come out, without screwing up my exhaust? or is there some sort of glassfiber inside?

Attachments

• DSCN4779.jpg
    DSCN4779.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 469
  • uitlaat forum.jpg
    uitlaat forum.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 474
You have a baffle inside there that goes from narrow to larger on each end.Ive heard of people drilling holes through their mufflers to get more sound that or change your mufflers.

okay okay! sounds good! so the inner pipe(red arrow) is not attached to anyting inside the muffler? I'm planning to cut all material out inside the welded area.

I'm just a bit worried that it will be to loud.. I don't want to set off car alarms or something :p it's my daily driver and in the past I owned a loud 70cc two-stroke as a daily driver wich wasn't ideal..

So between the weld and the inner pipe is glassfiber kinda stuff. So I had to do the ugly solution, drill some holes in the exhaust. Sound is quite okay, not really what I wanted but better then how it was in the first place.

I made a video, and it is uploading right now. link will appear when it is online.

By drilling out the pipes you will loose back pressure and will de-tune the bike. You will also lean it out and cause the bike to run hotter. Re-jetting will most likely need to be done.

XSChris does bring up a good point I think the difference would be if drill very small holes and not many of the them then it wouldn't probably hurt anything.

Lupe those are some nice pics of inside our mufflers.Dont know where you found them but thanks for posting.

I drilled out 4, 1/4" holes in the back of both of my mufflers on my maxim 400 and It really improved the sound of the bike. It gave it a much deeper tone compared to stock. Surprising I did notice a bit more mid range throttle response after drilling the wholes. I did richen up the idle circuit slightly (1/2 turn). I have been using my bike like this for about 2 months now and I am very pleased.

Wow nice job on that exhaust! nice piece of engineering! So I drove it last night and this morning, and indeed lost a little bit of power. not that much. I drilled in each pipe 4 holes of 7 mm(just a little bit bigger than 1/4"). pleased with the sound of it! I'll drive around a while and see if I have to adjust the mixture or not.

here's a link to my bike and it's modified exhaust:

I'm glad you are enjoying the sounds. I think I noticed a performance increase in performance because prior to drilling the exhaust I was running a bit rich and the free flowing exhaust compensated for that.

I enjoyed the video too. What I like about this is that if you don't like the sound you can just plug the holes with the appropriate size bolt.

Last edited:
I know this thread is old but I just ended up cutting 6” off the exhaust it Looks waayyyy better sounds good too. Still Runs great

7F4B459C-BC3E-4F12-82D8-DA9B5FF2A5D1.jpeg
005951E2-065F-41DE-9112-2AC19C9EFCC1.jpeg
94E0AE0E-EB92-4753-A01F-FD445B1A1F57.jpeg
2347E9A2-1CCB-4051-8B54-FB6F14A1502A.jpeg
DC2E48CE-7855-4981-8AE5-106FD487DD9C.jpeg

Back