Carb/Exhaust issues

Okay, well that might make more sense. I tested the diaphragm immediately after taking off the carbs, which was directly before changing my choke plungers. A while back I saw that the rubber on the choke plungers had disintegrated. I tried putting an o-ring in there but I wasn't satisfied so I bought new ones.

On a side note, the new plungers fit into the carb perfectly, but the shaft of the plunger was different and my choke rod wouldn't catch it. I guess I need to get a c-clip to fit in the groove of the plunger and catch on the choke rod. Anyone else have that problem or different solutions? I will try to post a pic later.\

Edit: Also, both diaphragms fell the same exact way and speed. That seems a bit odd to me unless I messed something up putting my carbs back together.

If the choke plungers are not correct for the carbs it cause this issue.

Choke Plungers were a success. I put C-clips on the new plungers and my chake bar caught it perfectly (makes me wonder why Mike's doesn't provide c-clips?). Anyways, the diaphram stayed up nicely. Another issue out of the way :thumbsup:. I trimmed up the battery holder because the old air filter mounts were getting in the way of my pods. Everything went in like a breeze. Started it right up within two seconds of hitting the button and it purred like a kitten. Let it warm up a little and synced the carbs. I was just getting ready to take her for a spin, revved it up and the stupid thing got hung up at 4000 rpm:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: How many times do my dreams have to be dashed!?

I sprayed it with some choke cleaner and it turns out one of my brand new butterfly seals is still leaking. Is it just a matter of the carb surface probably having a dirt spot or am I supposed to put some sort of goo on the seal when I put it in? This is frustrating.

Chris, do you have a vent hose for the h-pipe? I have the one from the 360 H-pipe but it seems to be too short.

i wana buy main jets for my bs34 (xs 400E 1978) on mikexs , are the main jets , the small round type or the large round type , thanks!!

The outside (that I know of) butterfly seals seem to be leaking using the carb cleaner test so I don't think it's a coincidence. When I took them apart before, The rubber in there came out in pieces so I'm not sure exactly what I took out. I'm thinking I'm missing a spacer or something because there is a whole lot of room for the butterfly seals to move around. At the moment, the order is carb, then seal, then c-clip. Am I missing something between the seal and c-clip?

Yes there should be a plastic washer over the seal then the c-clip. Post a pic of what you have.

Definately no washers between the seal and the clip. Do you have any spares?

Attachments

• 20140506_182824.jpg
    20140506_182824.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 20140506_183009.jpg
    20140506_183009.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 245
Sorry no I don't. The 80-84 xs650 carbs also use them. You may want to do some web searching on them. Also you may want to try a hardware store to try and match something up aluminum or copper may work.

I replaced those so long ago, I can't remember if I pulled them off or not. Although, I can't believe I would just forget that part on both sides of my carbs. I wonder if the PO never put them on and that would explain why I've had the problems since I got the bike.

Do you happen to know how thick those washers are supposed to be? Do you think I could shove a thick o-ring in there to take up the space or would the flexibility of the rubber make it useless? Thanks.

They were plastic and very thin. I went through my box of carb stuff and found a broken one:laugh: It's 1mm thick and 14mm wide.

Last edited:
Well I posted up on the classified for the spacers and ended up with a whole new set of carbs. How did that happen?:confused::shrug: The carbs look brand new and stock. They even have the pugs in them still. They are running great. A little slow from a dead stop so I think I might bump up the pilots but other than that, I'm not touching something that isn't broken.

Speaking of broken, I now seem to have a charging issue. Not sure whats going on. I figured it was from beating on the batter case and VR trying to get the screw loose. I checked the rectifier: PASS, replaced the voltage regulator: VR125 for 1982 models, rewired the coil and stator: razor blade stuck with key on, and replaced the battery with an AGM. I'm still only getting in the neighborhood of 12V. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I wired the VR wrong. The case is not grounded to the frame directly. I soldered the black wire from the pigtail to the case for ground. I also matched green to green and blue to brown. I read in another post that it really didn't matter how it was wired but I have a hard time believing that. Did I do this right? Thanks for the help.

Hook up the meter and watch it as you drive. My bike sits at ~12v all day, unless I'm actually ridding it, with a load. Then it gets above 13v.

Before you rejet those carbs, pop those caps off and tweak there. Glad they are working out for ya!

Back