Carbs and petcock

MrStubb

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I finally get to work on this bike. I pulled the tank Fuel flowed no matter where the valve was positioned. When I pulled the air chambers they were full of gas as were the carbs and most likely the Crank case breather. I think I know what the next step is. Kits for the carbs and petcock and an oil flush then a change with filter. Also seems the cylinders are at least fuel soaked. So what else am I in for with this project?? Would the fuel have an adverse effect on the clutch plates or any seals?:banghead::yikes:

Drain your oil imediately then take apart your petcock and rebuild it.Also check your float level in the carbs,You might have to do a couple of oil changes to get the gas out of your clutches.

if there actually is gas in the motor.. as long as you didn't run it real long i don't think it would damage anything, probably clean it a bit in there..... just get you a shut off valve between the tank and carbs and leave the petcock on

Will do the oil tomorrow when I can get back out to it. It's been sitting like this I think since Oct so the damage may well be already done. Got a good line on carb & petcock kits? Junkbay has em for 25-35 each. This is getting to be kinda expensive I think I've got 200 into it on top fo the 300 I got it for.

i haven't gotten it yet but i'm pretty sure, mikexs has on that will fit the xs400 for 45$... can anyone confirm that??..... so are you for sure there was gas in there?

oh and i know for sure mikexs has carb kits, but last time (about 2 months ago) i tried ordering 2 of em when i got some other stuff, i got to check out and it said they were out of stock... i think 8.50 a piece......wrong! i just checked... they're are 10$ for 1 kit so 20$ but it still says out of stock

i haven't gotten it yet but i'm pretty sure, mikexs has on that will fit the xs400 for 45$... can anyone confirm that??..... so are you for sure there was gas in there?

Not sure yet but I think it's likely gas has seeped into the case since the breather tube was connected to the intake assembly. I'll find out more tomorrow. While were at it I have a set of new Emgo aftermarket mufflers and I'm going with pod filters. Any suggestion's on jets would be appreciated. And as always Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I just hope any input or suggestions of mine are as good.:bike:

probably couldn't help ya there, ask bcware. he's smart on that stuff or drewpy... all i know is the more air your takin in the bigger jets you need.. i'm going to be going throught hat process soon, figured i'd have to buy a couple different sizes and spend a day testing

My experience with fuel leaking so much into the Air box, Crank case, turn out to be a bad float. good luck

Thanks Tobie I did get to look at my carbs today and so far I find that my float valves need help. I did pull 1 bowl off and the pin for the float is froze. I will need to soak the pins to really get a good look inside. The bowl looks varnished and I'll bet there's a load of crud in the passages. But the diaframs seem to hold a vacuum with my finger blocking the passage for them. WOO HOOO!!!!

Been there done that, I think anyone with more than 20 posts, has boiled thier carbs, or if they can afford it, they get them ultrasonic cleaned. Boiling seems to be the going thing. My bike, was my wifes since 1996, she garaged it in 2003. so the gas varnished, the Master Brake cylinder (front) was peanut butter. I snapped the kickstart journal, while messing around with the crank cover off. (Dont do that) I have my carbs here next to me, with the new diaphams not too far, (my winter project to do in the house) good luck
Tobie

Hmmmm Carb project in the house. Think I'll have to stick with working in the garage. Got enough bad smell in the house with a gassy Beagle. Seems the kick start thing is a common issue on this bike. I'd think that the kick shaft would be better supported but what do I know. We all do less than intelligent things and most (not me) learn from them. Plan 4 today is to strip carbs to soak and take the petcock apart. Kinda nice it's going to hit the mid 40's today. might take the little bike for a run.

Yup, I went to the VA, and sure enough, some is out driving already. I am hoping the fuel evaporated before I brought it in. I pulled my carbs off, last fall, with this in mind. (diaphragm job).

OK Finally took my carbs apart and to my horror there it was. Epoxy on a post for the float. CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! Next thought as the post came right off with little or no finger pressure drill & tap the post & body for small screws to hold it togather. Any one try this yet? Or possibly flatten out the broken area tap 1 small hole and make a replacement post from some 1/16th" sheet brass. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Any one got an extra good right side carb body sittin around?

Seems like you need another carb.Any expoxy fix would just be eaten up by the gas in the carb.Check our classified section or eplay.If theres a motorcycle bone yard near check it out also.Im lucky I have pretty big one 20 miles away.

... Epoxy on a post for the float. CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! ... Any idea's would be greatly appreciated ...
Sometime last summer or fall, there was discussion on a thread about using one of the JB-Weld formulations to repair a carb part. One of the formulations is apparently resistant to gasoline and, unless it is a structural part on which force is exerted, a couple of people chimed in that it would work.
If you are a purist and can't bear the thought of any JB on your bike :yikes: then you can't do it.
But if you are a rider first, and JB would allow you to ride while you look for an original part, :shrug: why not?

We do have a bone yard in MN, I have gotten floats from the one in Shakopee, MN. I can look up my old post, when I picked that up. I am out of time. CYa

Yep Sport Wheels I've been there a few times. I've tried emailing them for a few LS2 parts last spring and they totally blew me off. I think it's kinda their thing from what I hear. I've got relatives in the area who might be willing to rummage thru their stuff for me. Heck anything's worth a try right now. Just saw a thread where a guy put his carb body in a mill. Milled his stump flat. Drilled & tapped it then turned a new post in a lathe and used lock tite for extra security. I might cobble something togather like that. Carb's shot as it is so what have I to loose but a few hours?

Yup, your right, I was left to rummage though their Carb stuff. I felt this could be a Carb Museum. It appears they took every carb, then stashed them in a some large wooden boxes to sort out later, then got overwhelmed with the rest of the systems there, and to keep up with new incoming stuff. thats sad they blew you off, I guess I switch to Ebay at that point. or call first before giving up on them.

I totally agree with Lou, you have nothing to loose now, I think loctite on the pivot pin is not a good idea, I suspect you can come up with something that will work just fine. (in the interm) Good luck! Tobie

I was on some other sites that talked about useing Heliarc welding for the repair. Some of the pictures looked quite promising. There's an aircraft repair shop at the Princeton airport that may be able to do the welding for me. I plan to visit with them sometime today. There may also be a few other small shops with Heliarc abilities around the airport. There's also a cyl head shop there. The trouble is to find someone with a delicate hand for this project. Lou I'm far from a purist. You'd be surprised at what I've cobbled togather just to make it work. Thing is this is a delicate repair for a ham handed guy like me. It also has the possibility to cause trouble down the road. (pun intended)

Back