carburetor question

mikeybikey82

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so i got the carbs apart and have all of the jets and misc stuff soaking in cleaner. BUT when i pulled out the choke lever i lost one of the little ball bearings that goes under the lever!!! i looked all over but its gone. so, what do i do now? what DOES that little thing do? any help or suggestions??

Attachments

• carb.JPG
    carb.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 501
On the choke rod, there are two of those little balls with a small spring on each ball.
They are the indent balls so that when you pull out the choke rod, the rod will indent and stay out. I lost them when I rebuilt my carbs and never replaced them. When I pull the choke out now, I hold onto it, otherwise it will return without the indents to hold it on.
No big deal.

Blue

I wouldn't worry about missing one of the balls, there is still on in the other carb, so you still have a detent on the "choke" rod. I'm even thinking of removing one of mine so the rod isn't so stiff to pull in and out.

Last edited:
oh awesome news, thank you guys so much. well in a hour or so here ill go out and slam those back together, and see if i cant get this thing to start up! ill keep you updated, thanks again!

IT RUNS!!! BY GOD IT RUNS!! I'm pretty proud of myself for gettin that carb cleaned out and in, especially now that's it runs! And it runs suprisingly well too once she warms up fr a minute. Now I just need a headlight base, a front blinker and a rear blinker.....maybe time to start a build thread...

IT RUNS!!! BY GOD IT RUNS!! I'm pretty proud of myself for gettin that carb cleaned out and in, especially now that's it runs! And it runs suprisingly well too once she warms up fr a minute. Now I just need a headlight base, a front blinker and a rear blinker.....maybe time to start a build thread...
Great job man! I'm glad to hear that you got it to run....Now the REAL fun begins!!

Back