casting: anybody know how?

volcomskater77

XS400 Chopophile
Top Contributor
Reaction score
anybody know how to cast stuff? on the cheap?
im swapping out my cracked block for a new one and i wanna use the old block to cast something. idk what tho. i was wondering if anyone had done this before and has any pointers or maybe a reliable how to guide

thought i was a thread about fishing.:laugh:

would it not be cheaper to CNC something? casting depends on the metal.

alu melts at approx 1800'c, sand casting would be the best for one offs.

you first need to make a plug out of wood and then find a foundry to help with the heat and have the tools like crucibles etc

yeah just little odds and ends ill probably end up making a foundry or something. like a 55 gallon drum with some wood. because i already have it. lol and then ill make a sand casting. i dont know what i want to make tho. maybe a tail light/license plate holder and some other stuff. or some ingots to have my friend machine for aluminum carb boots? a ha thread crossing ;)

I don't think you should set up a backyard foundry just because you have some scrap aluminum laying around. You should do it if you are interested in casting though.

There are lots of good videos on youtube on the subject (also lots of bad ones :laugh:) and a bunch of websites where people show you how to do it and show off their creations.

here's one: http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html

I read a bunch about it a several months ago but that's as far as I went with it. If you do set something up, be sure to let us know how it goes! Be safe!

will do. we have lots of scrap aluminum intakes off or 5.0 fox bodies and stuff at work. so ill be dipping into those also. lol and im probably gonna be casting some fender struts or shifter knobs and other simple things at first. and i can always "borrow" some scrap from school too. ;)

I used to have a simple foundry setup in my backyard, now i'm in college and i've got the use of the machine shop's foundry. its a fun process, but can be dangerous, just know the process, wear protective gear, and if it looks like it could be hot, it is.

We use petrobond sand for greensand casting, which is the best stuff i've worked with so far, if you can find it locally i'd recommend buying that over making your own green sand.

I don't think you should set up a backyard foundry just because you have some scrap aluminum laying around. You should do it if you are interested in casting though.

There are lots of good videos on youtube on the subject (also lots of bad ones :laugh:) and a bunch of websites where people show you how to do it and show off their creations.

here's one: http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html

I read a bunch about it a several months ago but that's as far as I went with it. If you do set something up, be sure to let us know how it goes! Be safe!
Stay away from "Skippi's" videos......haha

haha yeah no shit. lol
hes casting with blue latex gloves, polyester shirt, mc hammer pants and milk jugs as the holder for liquid aluminum. haha
lol naw, I bet he's casting with bare hands, a sweat stained beater, whitey tighties, and the coffee cup he's drinking out of for the aluminum....hahaha Man, I like that guy's style! lol

Back