Clutch cable pulling but nothing happening.

Baileyxs250

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there people,

Another day another question!
Now that I've got the engine running nice I attached the clutch cable to go through the gears and make sure they were all engaging right.
They are all engaging OK but with no use to the clutch cable...

I tried adjusting it all to make the cable tighter etc but no joy. there is resistance behind the lever but it feels as though it's not pushing the rod far enough in?

I then tightened the cable right up thinking the rod may need to be pushed in further and I could hardly pull the lever and when I did it made no difference.

The ball bearing is still in the cable side of the clutch pusher/adjuster mechanism.

I did pull the push rod out :doh:. could the bearing from the clutch end have fallen out? the end of the rod that goes through the engine doesn't look as though it would have a ball bearing on the end because it is more convexed than concaved...

Here is a video of the bike going through the gears for the first time anyway.

Any help would be great!

Joe :banghead:

Did you adjust the pushrod actuator?
Pull the little cover off of the left side engine case above the shifter. Under it is a phillips screw-headed all thread setscrew and a locknut. Do yourself a favor: Have someone pull in the clutch lever all the way to the bars, then take your socket and undo the locknut. If you don't do it this way, the cable often hops out under this cover. Don't ask.

Now loosen the clutch cable most of the way. You want maximum slack.

Then adjust the actuator that you loosened the locknut on. As you screw in the center crew, the slack comes out of your clutch cable.

Adjustment specs: Lightly seated, then about 1/8-1/4 turn out (so you don't kill the throwout bearing aspect of it.)

Then readjust the cable, which will be a fine tune at most, and you should be set.

Again: The adjustment is in the left engine cover. The rear one, under the small round cover right above the shifter.

Every tune up, or cable/lever/part change, you should do this again. Takes two minutes if you're slow. Easy to stay ahead of. Be sure the nylon worm and the ball bearing have good grade grease on them. Keep the cable oiled, and it should outlast the pistons. I recommend triFlow. I don't know if you can get it, but it works like a champ.

Let us know how this went.

Back