Custom Seat "Adventure" (Like WM Seat)

Steve K- Did you have a problem with using wood for a jig? I would think that red hot metal would tend to make the wood combust. Also nice idea with the charcoals. Did you put the whole pipe in there or just the center like in your picture?

With coals,you could use a hair dryer to stoke up the coals and heat the pipe up much quicker,like a blacksmith's forge.I've still got my old coal forge I used as a farrier[horseshoer]that I worked for about 10 years at before succumbing to broken bones and a bad back. You can make one with bricks with charcoals and a small,high output fan,or old hairdryer.You can weld with a forge,heating to the melting point,then beating the pieces together. lha

Mr L, great job that is some "Kraftiness" rollin right there lookin good. And can you give more info on the MW bike in the link? I really dig that style.

Good idea Iha.
I have an electric leaf blower that should work. Might be a little overkill. I do still have to find something to put the coals in though.

55gal drum,cut in 1/2,lined with firebrick.Put in coals,when burning well,blow gently with low velocity air.This produces high temp to heat steel. lha

A large brake drum makes for a good little starter forge and you can put some expanded metal or heavy screen over the center hole and even run some ducting to hook up a hair dryer to and there it is in a nut shell. I have a Hay Buden hand crank forge that is over 100 years old and still works well and I have the matching 155 lb anvil, I wish I had more time to blacksmith.

I really like the WM bike in the first post link, any more pics of it or info?

For horseshoes,or small objects,a brake drum would be great,but for heating a 3'-4' pipe,the metal needs to be uniformly heated to bend like has been discussed here. lha

Dig it, I know what you mean that would take some innovation to heat that long of a piece with a small forge. That is why I like my oxy/acc torch with a rose bud or flushing tip. I have not used my forge in so long I am using it for yard art right now.

Attachments

• forge.jpg
    forge.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 406
Awesome work guys...I've used the sand/camp fire trick before for bending exhaust tubing...Works great...

I sold my forge,anvil,and shoeing equipment about 8 years ago when I decided I was an old fart who can barely walk,and didn't need equipment for a job I couldn't do any more.Now I wish I'd kept the forge and anvil[225 lbs,100 years old],but I did,so I bought a 55lb anvil to do small work with.My anvil had a stack about 1' tall and had an opening about 6"x12" for working. lha

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something a bit simpler as this will be a one time thing (famous last words). I like the idea of the brake drum as they will be easy for me to get. It would make it difficult to heat the whole pipe though.
Also why do you say that the whole pipe has to be heated? Can't you just heat the section that is being bent? I realize that the heated section would lose heat to the cooler parts but can't you just bend it before it cools? :shrug:

You can do it any way you want to,it's your bike,your pipe.I was just thinking about the easiest and quickest way. lha

"Also why do you say that the whole pipe has to be heated? Can't you just heat the section that is being bent? I realize that the heated section would lose heat to the cooler parts but can't you just bend it before it cools?"

If you're doing a long bend it helps to have the whole section hot so the metal has the same characteristics along the curve. If you do it in sections you'll notice a choppiness to the bend unless you have someone heating slightly ahead of you. You'd be surprised how quick the dom tubing cools. I have a small pile of frame squiggles to prove it. :doh:

As winter is slowly coming to an end i will be pulling my bike out of storage and getting to the painting of everything (which unfortunately didn't end up happening before winter) then of course putting it back together. Like i said finishing the seat is the last thing on my "to-do" list but once i get to that point I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

Glad i could inspire other people to try this out. Good luck to all of you, i am no expert so if you have found a better way then what i said feel free to share it and ill make note of it for if i ever try again. This method i use can be costly as i killed my 18 year old BBQ heating up the pipe, but i used this as an excuse to buy a nice new one hehe :D

Can't believe this thread is still going, good luck everyone I'll be posting lots of pictures as soon as i can check off everything else on my ever growing to do list.

L

Thanks Reaper.
That makes perfect sense.

Mr L
Keep us posted. Your frame looks great. Thank you for a great idea.
What do you mean winter is coming to an end?? It feels like it just started here. We still have about 3 months of miserable weather before we can ride full time.:(

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something a bit simpler as this will be a one time thing (famous last words). I like the idea of the brake drum as they will be easy for me to get. It would make it difficult to heat the whole pipe though.
Also why do you say that the whole pipe has to be heated? Can't you just heat the section that is being bent? I realize that the heated section would lose heat to the cooler parts but can't you just bend it before it cools? :shrug:

one time thing?its an addiction.once you start it is in your blood.i know i can stop anytime...Besides backstreet fabrication is the best.i am about to start fabbing a seat for mine outta glass.just got the green florist foam and a roll of foil tape.if i can figure out my camera i will take pics

Back