Custom TACHO/SPEEDO guages?

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Any of you guys running aftermarket speedos and tachos, I was just wondering what can you run on the XS's?

If a product it marketed as 'universal' does that mean it will definatly work properly on our bikes. For example this speedo: http://japan.webike.net/products/3207903.html and matching tacho: http://japan.webike.de/products/3207904.html

Or this one looks pretty sweet: http://japan.webike.de/products/19978946.html

Also is there a way to hook up an electronic tacho to our bikes or do we have to use the mecanical cable type tachos? Any help is appreciated! Dont wanna waste cash on something i cant run :doh: (btw If anyone has pictures of what custom guages theyre running please feel free to put them up! Including custom NEUTRAL/OIL/TURN SIGNAL lights, i would definatly be keen to see what your running and how they look on your bike)

got something similar on my tracker in the first link. says 6200 rpm = 60 mph

electronic tacho's count the pulses off the ignition wire, just set cyl option. depending on what you want to achieve, you could go totaly electronic!

Great thanks for the info sounds promising! If im not limited to using only a cable type set up, opens up more choice. So you would simply wire the tacho lead to the ignition wire? How would an electronic speedo work, is that what you meant by you can go totally electronic?

Actually i was looking at your tracker pics to see what you were running and noticed you didnt go with a tacho or is it mounted somehwere else away from the speedo. Btw very nice job you have done to your tracker, must have taken quite a while to finish the detail and clean work is impressive, the photos were very well done too. That speedo you have is the sort of thing i want to run but in kph, i do like the idea of the whiteface one with nuetral/oil/high beam/turn signal LED's built onto the face, that would look trick.

I guess you dont really need a tacho especially on a xs250:bike:, i would be more or less putting it there for cosmetic reasons because it suits the look i would invisage for my bike.

So anyone wanna post piccies of theyre custom guages set up? Or of someone elses set up, preferably on a XS or other classic bike from similar era. Im looking for ideas :) Here's a set up from an xs600 i really like, actually i really like the whole bike a lot.

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,203
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,153
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 944
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 928
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 973
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 907
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 936
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 959
Great thanks for the info sounds promising! If im not limited to using only a cable type set up, opens up more choice. So you would simply wire the tacho lead to the ignition wire? How would an electronic speedo work, is that what you meant by you can go totally electronic?

erm, electronic speedo and tacho. the tacho just wraps around the ignition wires, bit like a xenon timing lamp. speedos need a sensor on the rim like a cycle speedo!

Actually i was looking at your tracker pics to see what you were running and noticed you didnt go with a tacho or is it mounted somehwere else away from the speedo. Btw very nice job you have done to your tracker, must have taken quite a while to finish the detail and clean work is impressive, the photos were very well done too. That speedo you have is the sort of thing i want to run but in kph, i do like the idea of the whiteface one with nuetral/oil/high beam/turn signal LED's built onto the face, that would look trick.

I guess you dont really need a tacho especially on a xs250:bike:, i would be more or less putting it there for cosmetic reasons because it suits the look i would invisage for my bike.

thanks, no tacho, you run out of steam 9.5 k anyway

Check out the acwell 27XX series and 28XX series. Thats the gague I'm putting on my bike. Had actally hoped to get it for christmas from my wife but I guess I left off a part number on my xmas list :(

Really cool and simple looking, has a tach and speedo aswell as some programable features like neutral switch. All stuff you can not use if you don't want to but its there just incase. Think they are around 150 canadian.

Shaun

these work on our bikes if you wanna wire them in, you can get a dash for them too with lights, just something to consider, if i go tracker its what im doing,

Attachments

• tt75-405_1.jpg
    tt75-405_1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 697
  • 0000-Trail-Tech-Vapor-and-Vector-Indacator-Dash-Board---.jpg
    0000-Trail-Tech-Vapor-and-Vector-Indacator-Dash-Board---.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 710
Wow they look pretty cool, would definatly be great on a tracker. @shaun yeah i saw those acwell units on ebay maybe not that exact model but they look pretty good
, quite pricey but they have all the bells and whistles. If you remember put a piccy up once its mounted and maybe a bit of a review. For me I think I like the idea of having the two guages next to each other for now (but that may change) even though the tacho is really not necessary. Heres an interesting one but at 430 euros its not cheap:yikes:

Attachments

• w-599-077.jpg
    w-599-077.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 563
Just had a good look at the acewell 27xx series and they look great! They are different to the ones i saw in ebay, they look better with the chrome finish. Heres another interesting acewell one for 233 euros, the 2802CP:

Attachments

• ace-2802cp.jpg
    ace-2802cp.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 540
I think the acewell is the best option... Motogadgets are beautiful, hand made in Germany, CNC machined housing but the price...:yikes:

Btw I think this Acewell 4553 is even better with analog tacho
ACE-4553CP-angle-1b.jpg

Also Koso makes interesting gauges... Anyway I'm not decided what I will choose... 2 in 1 (speedo and tacho in one) or two separate analog gauges

Last edited:
If you want to go with two guages side by side, Mikesxs makes a mount that is almost identical to the xs650 pics you posted

So all these speedometers (not electronic ones) fit to the oem speedometer cable? It will screw in no problem or do I have to look for a specific one? I'm only planning to run speedometer right now and block off where the tachometer cable goes to on the motor side.

I think the acewell is the best option... Motogadgets are beautiful, hand made in Germany, CNC machined housing but the price...:yikes:

Btw I think this Acewell 4553 is even better with analog tacho
View attachment 10427

Also Koso makes interesting gauges... Anyway I'm not decided what I will choose... 2 in 1 (speedo and tacho in one) or two separate analog gauges

Don't let the looks fool ya, it's all digi just with a gauge:wink2:

But just to be clear, Motogadget or nothing :)

So all these speedometers (not electronic ones) fit to the oem speedometer cable? It will screw in no problem or do I have to look for a specific one? I'm only planning to run speedometer right now and block off where the tachometer cable goes to on the motor side.
If you get a answer to this question let me know cuz i too have a broken speedo and need to find a replacement. Will just any of these speedos work with a stock cable and wires? In other words, Are they specific to our bike just or general speedometers that fit any bike?

Last edited:
There are a whole punch of wires in there, just take a peek at the wiring diagrams topic, it's all there, colored and whatnot:)

Just finished firing my Koso DB01, nice small all in 1 replacement.

IMG_20140113_170126.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man. Now that I have most of my running issues dialed, I move onto the aesthetics. Replacing my (leaking) cable drive tach with one of these fancy numbers is starting to look real nice. Thanks for all the info!

If you get a answer to this question let me know cuz i too have a broken speedo and need to find a replacement. Will just any of these speedos work with a stock cable and wires? In other words, Are they specific to our bike just or general speedometers that fit any bike?

I'm pretty sure the cable will thread up. I've dealt with several older bikes along with newer bikes with mechanical speedos and they are all the same....I'm not 100% positive, but feel like it will work.....with that said, I've been looking at them myself, my stock gauges are ratty and I'm wanting to get rid of the huge cluster...but it's low on the priority list at the moment for my build.

I got mine from DCC I believe. These use the stock cables. You just need gauges with the correct ratios. I bought mine specifically with all of the indicator lights integrated into the unit.

Attachments

• xs400_37.jpg
    xs400_37.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,185
Back