Engine will NOT mount

DOHCoddity

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So, I picked up an '82 XS400RJ w/ DOHC, and as part of my tune up procedure checked the valve gap...

Now I can't get the engine to mount to the bike, what started out as 2 bolts is now the entire engine...

First question is do the top mounts need all 6 bolts? (2 to hold bracket on per side and two long bolts to hold bracket to bike)

And is there some trick I'm missing? The bracket holes will not line up, I've tried softening and hardening the monoshock, standing on the bike to compress the shock and forks, lifting the rear tire, removing everything, and yelled loudly at it. None of these have worked.

Please send help.

Yes!...you need all the bolts,these engine vibrate a lot and these mounting points are there for a reason...
That being said.
What I did is....mount the two bottom bolts at first (the bottom engine mounts that is)....do not torque them,just put them in there with the nut on the end loosely. Then put the two top brackets on the top off the engine, again, not torqued, then jack up the engine until it lines up put the through bolts in sometimes with a mallet helps (careful to not ruin the bolt threads).... then once everything fits go through and torque everything to spec.
I hag an engine that would not go into the frame without a fight and then I couldn't even put all the bolts in...that is when I noticed that the bike was layer at one point in its life and the frame was warped....take a good look at your frame....
Good luck

@DOHCoddity everything you did, standing on the bike, messing with the suspension, etc was hindering your efforts. Though the yelling may have helped - by amusing anyone within earshot. :laugh:

The DOHC engine is a stressed member - it is part of the frame once installed. If you ride the bike without all the mounts or bolts installed, you risk the frame bending or snapping. You will have to support the weight of the engine to get the mount bolts to install. I use a small hydraulic car jack and a block of wood to lift the engine up into the frame, getting the lower rear bolt installed first, then the upper rear, and finally the upper front bolts. The bolts should slide in place with no force or effort. Once all the bolts are all in place, I remove the jack and install (and torque!) the nuts.

Once you've done it, you'll find that it is easier to do than to describe.

Back