Exhaust Mounting Problem

Someguy

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got all the parts I've needed to get the bike running, here it's been two months and change. I went to mount the exhaust and I'm having an issue with too much space between the collars that mount to the studs, they seem way to far off of the head. The bags have the part number for the flanges I ordered, and I'm wondering if they need to be shortened maybe?

Attachments

• IMAG1465.jpg
    IMAG1465.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 537
  • IMAG1466.jpg
    IMAG1466.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 486
Do you have studs with nuts holding them on the head or are using bolts?Its difficult to tell from your pic.Also Did you use the copper gaskets on the front of ther flanges?Its also possible the sleeves between the colors did or don't fit into place properly.

Looks like a bit much space. Looks like the flanges are backwards too, not that it would be the cause.

I'm no guru but I wonder if you might have more than one copper gasket sandwiched between the headers and the exhaust port? My 360 had two stacked together so tight they looked like one.

My flanges mount only a tiny bit closer to the engine. I bought new flanges as well btw. Haven't been able to run the engine yet so I have no clue if it's airtight

The flanges are mounted with the flared end towards the finned collars. I used the mike's XS gaskets, look to be some kind of fiber surrounded by aluminum/tin/steel. only used one per head pipe, checked inside the port and scraped the soot off with a small screwdriver, there didn't seem to be any old gasket inside.

Yes I used studs and nuts, not bolts. That's one of my worries, that the nuts don't have enough thread to really bite.

This is how it goes together. The mikesxs gaskets may be a lot thicker than the stock ones.

Attachments

• DSC02713.jpg
    DSC02713.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC02714.jpg
    DSC02714.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 515
My gasket is as thick as the width of yours, just about square if you cut a cross section. Is there a certain way to install the flanges? I just held them on with one hand around the pipe as yours are, and pushed the collar in with the other hand. Do your studs have any threads showing out of the head side? Mine have 3-4 before it reaches the smooth part.

The stock studs set about 30mm out from the block. The flanges mount flush with the pipe and the "wide" part goes towards the collar/retaining ring.

Attachments

• DSC02715.jpg
    DSC02715.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 468
Yep, that's how everything is set up. I still have that gap though. Should I try starting it and checking that it's air tight, or try to fix the gap now?

I am in the same boat as you, those new Mike's XS gaskets are pretty thick! I just assembled it all and (carefully) tightened the headers down and was able to have the studs come almost out the other end of the nuts. Not ideal, so I may take the collars down by a 16th to 3/32nds...

I'm thinkin I'll start it, and check for leaks, but I may have the flanges themselves cut some to close the gap, assuming theres not a leak.

I have a feeling if you start the bike you will have sever exhaust leakage I don't believe it will hurt anything.Ive had exhaust leaks where the collars fasten to the head it didn't hurt anything but I did install the copper gaskets which my bike didn't have.

Well the flanges are pressed up to the rim of the pipe, and the gasket is where it ought to be, so shouldn't it be well sealed?

I'm planning on selling the bike, but I refuse to sell someone else a heap, which is why I'm making her ridable for whoever wants her. I definitely want to close the gaps, but would a minor leak cause trouble with running?

Yes. A leak at the heat can cause running issues and could shoot fire out if the gap is large enough. I would try and put just the head pipe in the head and see if it goes all the way in. The pipes have to be at a certain angle to go in correctly.

So I cleaned off the inside of the port, where the gasket sits, and poked a hole in some copper. They sit much better now. about 1/4 inch at the widest, and I can probably live with that. The edge of the port was cleaned off and I trust that it seals.

Attachments

• IMAG1470.jpg
    IMAG1470.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 471
  • IMAG1471.jpg
    IMAG1471.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 465
HTC One has a camera feature that improves low light pictures, but turns them blue. Mine works all the time unless the sun is shining right on the object. Kinda annoying but it's not worth replacing the phone.

Back