finally its nearly finished

drewpy

Excess twin
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I just had to sgare these pictures.

I have more or less finished the little Gilera Touring I have been working on.

Its a 1973 Vintage import. used as a field bike for most of its life and had a snapped frame and other welded on horrors.

chain needed and fix on exhaust, dial in the engine and then need to get it UK registered which can take months :(

enjoy

WP_20140118_0021_zps4c4bb8d1.jpg

WP_20140118_0031_zps7dfe0037.jpg

WP_20140118_0041_zps9dc56744.jpg

WP_20140118_0011_zps540746e8.jpg

Nice job on the bike drepy is the tank in its final stages or are you going to slap some paint on in a colorful design on it?
I like the fins on that little engine well designed for get air flow over the cylinder for cooling.

love the baby motor full size bikes. I really wish that you could still get standard 50's, 125's etc. Not that I'm old enough to remember - but this chuck hawks read had a big effect on my thought about the state of modern motorcycles. Too many newbies with way too much fucking power.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/good_first_motorcycles.htm

Looks awesome, as always drewpy, even with the high standard we all hold you to ;) :bike:

love the baby motor full size bikes. I really wish that you could still get standard 50's, 125's etc. Not that I'm old enough to remember - but this chuck hawks read had a big effect on my thought about the state of modern motorcycles. Too many newbies with way too much fucking power.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/good_first_motorcycles.htm

Looks awesome, as always drewpy, even with the high standard we all hold you to ;) :bike:

:thumbsup::D

I see the words great beginners bike used quite often when someone is advertising a bike in the 600cc to 700c class.Im glad that I bought my xs400 to learn on and proud that I own one.Theres no fn way I would learn on a bike with that man cc`s having never ridden a bike before with exception of something like Honda trail 90 lol

Some of those larger cc engines mentioned on chuckhawks don't actually make much power, especially compared to their weight. Power to weight ratio is the key here.

2013 Yamaha r6 600cc inline-4: 122 hp
1991 Yamaha Seca II 600cc inline-4: 61 hp

As we can see the two models have similar sized engines but make drastically different amounts of power. What's also interesting is that the r6 is not only more powerful, but also lighter.

A 600 or 700 cc v-twin cruiser in general makes an excellent starter motorcycle.

The moral of the story is that you need to know more about the engine and weight of the motorcycle. A decision cannot be made purely based on displacement, but of course you already know this.

Always better to learn on a lighter weight motorcycle that easy to control that heavier bike with larger engine displacement.Also take into consideration how faster say a sport bike will accelerate compared to the older bikes.Combine the power weight fasterr acceleration lack of riding experience and crash:yikes:

Back