First highway ride

Ahhh hog wash! My maxim has stock gearing and runs on the freeway going 70-80 mph and handles it just fine. I have a fearing on mine that cuts the wind down nicely but the real ticket is making sure it's tuned properly. I ride the interstate for 15 miles going to work and yesterday I put on 50 miles all of which was at 65mph except for probably 10 miles that was at 45 and she handled it without issue.

i get confused with the gearing... so that would give you more top speed but sacrifice acceleration...which im betting isn't noticeable to much.
looking for the best combo for highway and long rides.

Think of it like a 21 speed bike... Big front sprocket and little rear is going to give lower rpm at speed. Little front and big rear is going to be opposite, better acceleration but higher rpm at speed. Going up a tooth or two on the front from stock will lower rpm 500ish at 60.

I've only had a little experience on the highway with this bike but my latest run on a 100 kph (about 60 mph) stretch I was surprised I didn't even need 6th gear. It dropped the rpms too much.

The bike was most comfortable from 5000 rpm and up. Sometimes I'd look down and find myself at 7000 rpm or more and be surprised at the easy at which it was cruising. I didn't find the riding unstable or uncomfortable in any way.

I look forward to faster runs (and using my 6th gear). Sounds like it shouldn't be a prob.

You should use 6th gear at highway speeds unless bike bike can't pull the weight. What sprockets are you running. I have 16/37 on both of my bikes with 18" rear wheels and run 5k rpm's at 60mph.

I use 6th all the time, even fully loaded with a passenger and gear. Only when overtaking I drop it down to 5th or 4th.

The bike was performing great. No problem with how it ran, it just felt good in the 5-7k range. I weigh 190 lbs. and it wasn't struggling with the weight.

Not sure what sprockets are on there. I guess they may have been changed by the PO. He did have the big windshield and bags on it and the bike is from the era of 65mph speed limits so maybe he did gear it for higher speed cruising. That could explain why I was blown out of the water in a street race with a hopped-up jeep.

I'll have to count my sprocket teeth.

I have stock sprockets on mine 16-38 I believe,Last year I road it on the freeway a couple of times.I know its just me and the lack of confidence but riding on the freeway with trucks and cars blowing past me at 70ph and faster made me nervous as hell.
I also had some vibration which was coming from the mufflers cause they weren't clamped down on the back.I-94 is know as garbage truck alley,we get all these semis from Canada.Bottom line I don't have the confidence to ride on the freeways for extended periods of time unless theres little traffic.
The light weight of our bikes doesn't help.This year I`ll have go through the learning curve all over since my bike isn't running.

I ride it like I stole it ^_^ but I do have to say a smaller rear sprocket would probably help me out a bit. I always wondered, is it better to go down a tooth in the rear sprocket as opposed to making any adjustments to the front sprocket?

Also, my bike was topping out around 60-70, but a good bit of jetting and this morning i ran outta gear around 85. I'd still like to lower the rpms at high speed though. So any suggestions on a good gearing combo?

as long as you don't go more than 1 tooth up or down on the front, you should be fine. The front wears quicker than the rear since it spins around more than twice as much as the rear, so if you go smaller on the front it'll wear even a bit quicker. Doubt you'll really notice the difference in wear, but that's the theory ;)

Going up one in the front is like going down two in the back. If you take off one tooth in the back it will drop the rpm's by about 250.

I went up one on the front with my Maxim when I first got it and was very pleased with the result. I started off with 16/35 and went to 17/35. It took about 450 rpms off at 60 mph and I loved the difference.

I never tested the top end as I never ride over 70 mph. Being only 155 lbs, I did not have any problems starting off in 1st. The difference was only detectable starting off on an uphill slope but was only minor.

There are several sprocket threads here on the Forum (including mine - http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79045#post79045 ) which can walk you through it.

Hell yeah! Thanks guys. I think that's next up on my to do list! Last nights result was about .5 from redline at 85mph. I'd like to get her a little more interstate friendly, I hate being that close to redline for long distances, there are a few nearby interstates around here that have 75 mph speed limits.

a bigger bike :laugh:

it's a tradeoff in the end, you can lower your highway rpms at the cost of acceleration, or vice versa

ok what size with be the best for highway and around city driving
It depends which model you have. If it's a 5 spd Maxim dohc with 16T/35T, the only real option is a 17T on the front since the rear is already 35. Don't think there is a 34T for the Maxim rear.

If it's a sohc, it could have a 16T front and as many as 37 on the rear - so I think you could increase the front and decrease the rear. But doing both might be overkill given that the sohc has less power. There are a number of good threads on here about sprockets with input regarding both versions.

I remember my first hyway ride last year it was kinda scary at first,espeacily when your riding down truckers alley I-94 going south out of port huron ,Mi towards Detroit.I briefly got the bike up to 70mph.My exhaust hadn't been completely fastened down so there was vibtation.I slowed down to 65 everything seem to smooth out and bike had plenty of power.Thing that scares the bejesus out of me is when I get passed by a suv or semi.

Back