First mod complete!

chkm8

XS400 Student
Reaction score
after a year of thinking about what to do, i've finally finished the first mod. new exhaust is wrapped and on. i had to use '79 headers and nut rings because the '81 exhaust was one piece and too nice to hack up. it sounds great and to my surprise runs fine, no backfiring or wheezing. i'm still going to jet up, the jets are ordered and when they get here i'm putting the pods on. i had to remove the center stand because of clearance issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 349
I have that exhaust, but mine is not wrapped. I am running 150 mains and 45 pilots; the plugs look fine.

Have you taken the bike to red line through a few gears? I bet it pops then.

Your pipes were actually the inspiration for my look. I wrapped mine because the right side header had a dent that I didn't want to look at. As I recall, you are also running your pods through the stock intake too, right? I ordered 150 mains and 45 pilots to start, I'm not sure whether I want to use the stock intake or not. I haven't redlined, but I usually don't rev that high when I ride. I was just surprised because I was expecting a much more noticeable change without rejetting. Love the sound.

I was running 145 mains at first and they were fine too, up until about 7 or 8k rpms. I have been using the stock air box (no pods) the entire time. I bumped up to 150 mains and I only get a slight pop right at redline now.

The sound is pretty awesome, haha. They are legal too. At inspection I was seeing 80 - 90 db; the limit here in NH is 106.

Just ride the bike for a bit with your new jets and inspect the plugs. They will tell you if it's too lean.

I like the short pipes; it also cuts off a lot of weight. The stock pipes are beastly!

Getting them off was a PITA too. The crossover pipe was a little rusted together.

I like it. what mod is this? I got a spare exhaust I'm always looking to try things with. I tried wrapping the exhaust with that fiberglass wrap.. ohhhhhh what a nightmare. Almost rampaged because of it.

I used different headers because I just couldn't hack up the stock exhaust that was complete and in good shape. The headers are from a '79 and the mufflers are cheap shorties. The wrap wasn't too hard, just go slow and keep it tight. I used stainless zip ties, two on top and two on bottom, using a screwdriver in the slot and a pair of pliers to get them tight. I also doubled the ends over before clamping the ties to keep the wrap from fraying. I overlapped about a quarter inch with each turn. I had leftovers on a 50ft roll. Some people wet the wrap first, I didn't. BTW, these stink and smoke when they are curing :) Being air cooled I couldn't really just let the bike run for 30 minutes to cure so I had to ride it.

They are available all over the place; ebay is where I got mine. They are Emgo Shorty mufflers.

Back