from points to electronic ignition

Jasonsblue81

colorado Kid
Reaction score
Heys guys, sorry. brain not workng well, getting over covid.. I had a 1978 xs 400. back in the day. points were a pain but reliable. How reliable is the ignition system on my 1981 special 2 ?? Were they still working out bugs?? What was first year of no points. how hard is it to find replacement parts now if ever needed??? when i found my 81, it had been stored inside for its whole life. Thanks

found a pic to load.
IMG_3118.JPG
IMG_3122.JPG
IMG_3122.JPG

WOW nice find , how come i can never find bikes in that cond , as far as the ign goes cant tell you as mine had points but if the same as the xs650 should be reliable , should be easy resto or to put back on the rd

believe me. When i sold my 78, I never thought I would ever find another xs400. i dont know if you believe in miracles, but , me finding this bike was not my doing. It literally appeared , and everything fell into place to get it.. have to tell you the story sometime.. still hard to believe.

lol on the rd is another story . canam spyder , xs650 on the rd , a few future on the rds including a 1978 xs250 for which have a 400 motor laying around

oh ok. xs250 be cool. dont see those much. took a 90 mile trip with my 400 yesterday. fun bike to ride for sure. have much more to do for maintenance on it , but hell. its reliable right now, so i am happy with it..

Back