Front wheel bearing nightmare

Pork Chop

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I am having trouble installing the front wheel bearings. I am using threaded rod and washers to press them into place. The right side went in ok but the left are a f@#king joke - the fit is so tight, it just wont go any further. The bearing is going in straight but is stuck. I am thinking of removing the bearing and freezing it - is that a good idea?. Can someone please help as this is really pissing me off.

Thanks guys.

Freezing and heating will work, just make sure you're careful with any seals made of plastic or rubber.

I used heat to install/remove the steering stem bearings.

I haven't done my wheel bearings yet, so I don't know if your difficulty is normal.

Ok, so I popped that pig of a bearing out and put it in a bag in the freezer. I have no heat gun so I will use the missus hair dryer to heat the hub a bit - better than nothing. Hopefully this will make a difference. Anything else I should try?

Cheers.

Maybe some grease too?

I think the heat from the dryer and the frozen bearing will do it though; mild heating did the trick for me with the steering stem. I certainly didn't get it THAT hot.

don't forget the spacer, or you have to start again!

use a blow torch on the wheel (gentle Jesus like)

Thanks Drewpy, but the closest thing I have to a blowtorch is a can of hairspray and some matches. :thumbsup: will a hair dry make any difference or just wasting time?

The spacer has what looks like a washer stuck to it on one end, does that go on the right side?

Cheers.

Posted via Mobile

the "top hat" washer goes on the speedo drive end of the spacer

I think you need it a bit hotter than a hairdryer. buy a heat gun/craft heat gun you can use them for shrink tubing too :D

Yeah baby - another (small) battle won. The bearings are installed.

I have a popcorn air popper and as we all know, popcorn needs to be heated to over 230c to pop so i used that to warm the hub as i dont have a heat gun. The bearing had been in the freezer for a bit and was nice and cold (shrinkage). I used the old bearing as a drift and i slowly tapped it in - a piece of cake.

It was a hell of a lot easier than getting it out. I had to use a dremel to cut the inner bearing race, remove the ball bearings and hammer directly on the outside bearing race.

Another story with a happy ending:) I wont even stuff around when I do mine ill just throw the bearings straight in the freezer and heat up the hub. Thanks for the hot tips (no pun intended) pork!

Back