Fuel Leaking

Nancy M Garner

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Okay, my baby needs a little medical care! I noticed the other day she was riding like crap. Just not content. Stalling, had to keep the choke on, sounded like a freaking lawn mower. Just all in all, I could tell she wasn't happy about something. When I got home, I smelled the gas. It didn't take me long to find the source of it (Attached). It actually dripped gasoline on to the floor of my shop most of the night before I saw it.

It doesn't look like that hose is seated solidly, and so the clamp can't really do its job. Problem is, I can't get those hose to move enough to make a solid connection. Anyone had this issue? What is that black connector called, so I can order another one? A boot, maybe??

Attachments

• 1648083279886.jpg
    1648083279886.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 130
Hi Nancy
Unfortunately if you have fuel leaking from there you have is an issue with the carb(s). Most likely flooding due to a bad needle and seat or a float problem.

Well...... it requires removing the carbs, taking them apart completely, cleaning them completely checking all fuel and air porting, and installing new carb kits, which might have to include floats, jets, needles, yada yada yada. Then making the correct adjustments once the rebuilt carbs are installed. The screenshot below is for reference only, this may not be the kit for your bike.
Some members like to use only OEM kits and others have had success using aftermarket kits.
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 4.40.47 PM.png

That's a very condensed version of what needs to be done.
There are lots of posts on this sight regarding rebuilding carbs, all good info.

I agree with what Buddha posted, but will add two things:
1. You may also have a petcock that is not shutting off also, so I would look at it in addition to the carbs.
2. If your bike is running well, then a full rebuild kit for the carbs may not be necessary as you can reuse the jets, emulsion tube, needle, etc. after they are cleaned. MikesXS sells a basic kit for the late model SOHC engines (I assume that's what you have based on the airbox in your photo) that just includes the entire float valve assembly, a bowl gasket and a new pilot jet passage rubber plug which should get you going. The MikesXS part is #48-1408 which is listed as an XS650 basic kit, but it should fit a late model bike (I hope so, because I bought two of them to use in the not too distant future).

What year and model (SOHC/DOHC) is your bike? I am going to strip, clean and reassemble my 1981 SOHC carbs soon, and can move that schedule up some if you want a walk-through of what goes on.

I'd check the petcock as well... start with the simple things and follow gravity down to the carbs.

You can pull the fuel line from the carb... leave it for a while and see if the line itself is flowing fuel; it shouldn't be if the petcock is in order.

Re-building/re-working the carbs is an easy task and giving the carbs a once-over and cleaning is never a bad idea.

The hose in your photo is the junction between the airbox and the carb. Keep in mind smelling fuel is typically some sort of fuel issue but doesn't mean it is 100% the carb.

Back