1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Handlebar controls

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chkm8, Aug 3, 2011.

1. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

Not having any luck finding new handlebar controls. I know mikesxs has them for the 650's, will those work?

2. jlearning1

jlearning1 XS400 Enthusiast

have you tried EBAY? I think I seen a few on their site

3. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

I looked there, the only one I found was for $129 apiece! Not really looking to pay that much, that's why I was wondering if the 650 controls would fit. At least mikesxs has them for more than half that, plus they are NOS.

4. HoughMade

HoughMade XS400 Guru Top Contributor

They look for all the world like they are identical, but to be safe, you could do a search for factory part numbers for the 650 controls and the 400 controls and see if they are the same.

5. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

see, that's actually a good idea, which is probably why I haven't done it :)

6. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

Ok, so my manual lists the parts individually that make up the control. Does anyone have the part no. for the whole assembly?

7. Under Dog

Under Dog XS400 Addict

Check out boats.net From their site you can access parts microfiches for all sorts of bikes. It's a great way to compare two bikes and their part numbers...

8. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

And of course it's two different part numbers...

9. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

I'm pretty sure I've figured it out, just want to make sure. An '81 XS400 Special II is also an XS400SH, correct?

10. Under Dog

Under Dog XS400 Addict

I'm pretty sure that's right... I'm thinking the standard was the XS400H, and the Special was the XS400SH.

11. chkm8

chkm8 XS400 Student

I have to figure that out since it's a different part number for those models. Something to do with the wiring harness I read somewhere.