Help with ‘81 xs 400 Special 11, Minneapolis

Merle

XS400 Member
Reaction score
ED9BD169-BE07-4183-ADB5-99F21AFE4AF4.jpeg
Hello everybody,
I’m new to this forum and I’m looking for help working on my xs 400 Special. I put in new plugs, cleaned the tank and changed oil and filter. It’s pops over with starting fluid but does not run. I purchased a new petcock and carb kits and need an experienced person to rebuild/clean the carbs. Anyone in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul area available to help with this? It would be possible to do this work in my garage?
I have tools. Looking to get the bike running so I can get a fair price when I offer it for sale.
Thank you for your help.
Merle

Well.................if you own one of these you need to know how to work on them.............no trying to be an ass but I learned a lot when I picked up a few of these a few years ago......... they are great bikes but yes you need to wrench on them..........re building the carbs is not a big deal..........

Well.................if you own one of these you need to know how to work on them.............no trying to be an ass but I learned a lot when I picked up a few of these a few years ago......... they are great bikes but yes you need to wrench on them..........re building the carbs is not a big deal..........
Thanks for your encourage.
Merle

Hey merle. I just bought one exactly like yours about a month ago.I had a 78' for ten years. So yea we need to hook up big time..I can help you with the carbs. I will be doing mine shortly. Right now i have a oil leak to deal with. Whats mileage on yours??
IMG_3123.JPG

Hello,
Thanks for the note. I’ll check the mileage on my ‘81 tomorrow and get back to you.
Where are you located?
That’s the same bike as mine, even the blue!
Happy Trails,
Merle

Hey merle. I just bought one exactly like yours about a month ago.I had a 78' for ten years. So yea we need to hook up big time..I can help you with the carbs. I will be doing mine shortly. Right now i have a oil leak to deal with. Whats mileage on yours??View attachment 36618
Hello,
The mileage on my xs 400 Special reads 11, 883. I’ve had the bike about 25 years or so. It was my neighbors bike so I just pulled it into my garage. I got around to registering the title in my name in 2001. So I’m very confident in the mileage reading. It sat too long with bad gas and the tank got rusty. The tank has been cleaned. I suspect the carbs need cleaning/rebuilding. I have the carb kits, a new petcock and a new battery. When you rebuild your carbs I would like to learn how to do it. Or maybe you could help me in my garage in South Minneapolis. I have good tools. Thanks again for your reply.
Take care,
Merle 612-822-0172 email: rustydebris@yahoo.com

Hey, Merle.

I'm probably closer to you geographically than anyone else here.

I am not going to be rebuilding my carbs, but I have some symptoms that make me think I need to replace a couple of parts.

Question on your tools - do you have JIS screwdrivers? It really helps to avoid stripping a bunch of screws.

Rebuilding the carbs is not that hard.................. just watch videos and go for it..................... they dont work now so you cant mess them up.............. :D

B566E242-A8F5-4524-B75D-07F3AE5F978B.png
Hey, Merle.

I'm probably closer to you geographically than anyone else here.

I am not going to be rebuilding my carbs, but I have some symptoms that make me think I need to replace a couple of parts.

Question on your tools - do you have JIS screwdrivers? It really helps to avoid stripping a bunch of screws.
Hello JP,
Thanks for the note. When I first saw your reference to JIS screwdrivers I thought it was something unreal like a metric Crescent wrench. Then I looked at a video and now I understand what they are. Very good advice, I appreciate your insights.
I had that problem on my bike and ruined a couple of screws. I replaced the screws with stainless metric bolts with a hex head, much easier to manage. Anyhow, give me jingle or email and let’s talk.
Merle (612) 822-0172 or, rustydebris@yahoo.com
Thanks again.

Yeah, those screwdrivers are good for getting those funky screws out so you can replace them.
Hey xs’ers,
Someone called my landline this weekend and left me a message to call back (was it Mike?) It was a poor connection and hard to understand.
Please call again and leave me your phone number (or email) and I will get back to you.
I’m sorry to miss your call and I do not have caller I.D.
Thanks,
Merle
rustydebris@yahoo.com

I would not post your phone number in the open forum. Send it in a p.m. You don’t want unwanted calls from the wrong person.

Hi. Can I join the party? Another blue XS 400 in the Twin Cities . . . I have owned this and ridden it in St. Paul for about 20 years. Currently looking for a reliable mechanic who can explore a rattling in the engine. I would welcome any recommendations.

– Craig B.

IMG_0885.jpeg

Hey merle. I just bought one exactly like yours about a month ago.I had a 78' for ten years. So yea we need to hook up big time..I can help you with the carbs. I will be doing mine shortly. Right now i have a oil leak to deal with. Whats mileage on yours??View attachment 36618
Hey Colorado,
I didn’t get your phone number or area code. Call again, I don’t have caller ID. Thanks,
Merle

Back