How do you check the oil?

I have a 82 400 special and my cap has no dipstick on.

Fubar you said you use decil 20-50 oil on your bike how does the vicosity compared to regular motorcycle oil.Also how much does cost est?

I have a 82 400 special and my cap has no dipstick on. Fubar you said you use decil 20-50 oil on your bike how does the vicosity compared to regular motorcycle oil. Also how much does cost est?
Welcome to the Forum!
The manual for the sohc that is on here says that there is a sight glass to check the oil.
If it is like my dohc, it is very low on the right side. The bike has to be totally perpendicular to the ground though. If you check with the bike on the side-stand there is no oil visible at all.

It has the site glass on it where I can see oil inside the crankcase but I dont see any line on the glass that shows me the level.Maybe its there just dirty.

It has the site glass on it where I can see oil inside the crankcase but I dont see any line on the glass that shows me the level.Maybe its there just dirty.
There should be little marks inscribed on the crankcase next to the actual glass. On mine, the lower mark would allow you to just see the top of the oil and the upper mark allows you to just see a tiny bit of air above the oil.
Anywhere around 3/4 up the glass should be fine - when the engine is warm and has only sat a few minutes.

PS - Check out a couple of the threads on here regarding oil. Apparently not all diesel oils are compatible with our wet-clutches so as long as you use one that is, it seems they work great.You are lucky to be in Michigan as you can buy the stuff for just over half what we get ripped for it here. Thank goodness for our regular visits to family in MI and OH. :thumbsup:

I just made this, off the 82 Manual for checking Oil. Hope this helps. I should check to see if there is a procedure for checking if oil is getting to the top of the SOHC model. Good luck
Tobie

Attachments

• SECA 82 XS400 oil check.jpg
    SECA 82 XS400 oil check.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 564
PS - Check out a couple of the threads on here regarding oil. Apparently not all diesel oils are compatible with our wet-clutches so as long as you use one that is, it seems they work great.You are lucky to be in Michigan as you can buy the stuff for just over half what we get ripped for it here. Thank goodness for our regular visits to family in MI and OH. :thumbsup:

I dont know about that being lucky to be in Michigan.I live in a small city about 45K we have nothing here but lots and lots of water,very cold winters and short riding season.I would rather live where i can ride about 8 months out of the year.
I still end up odering most the stuff I need online.

I've gone through this too when I got my bike this year, (82 Maxim), my vin is not found anywhere, so I had the same problem when trying to find parts and a service manual. If you post really good close up pics from the side, we can all throw in our two cents. LOL.

Back