How much is this XS400 worth in Australia?

Ian Wilson

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Dear XS400 community,

I'm not sure if this is in the right place (please let me know if I should post this in classifieds or elsewhere), but I was wondering if anyone would know what I should sell my XS400 for in Australia?

I bought it from an older guy who had it since new, and as I was quite young I effectively ruined it by putting on clip-ons on that hit the tank.. I also changed the gauges and a few other things.. I do however have all the original parts too.

I dropped it once around a roundabout. It hasn't had registration since 2010. It runs but i'd say the carbs need a tune, and of course those clip-ons will have to be changed to be safe!

I'm asking for a friend as I honestly don't know what I should ask for, and I don't wanna overcharge him.

Thanks and I hope you can take the time to help me out!

Attachments

• DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 449
It's hard to say because the market in Australia seems to be completely different from North American or European standards. But why don't you just look at australian craigslist or ebay for xs400s in a similar state to see what those go for? Or put this one up for sale without a specific asking price, see what kind of bids you get?

Thanks Willem,

I've been looking, can't seem to find one for sale!

Great idea about putting it up for sale I'll give that a go thanks!

Hi Ian, if it all runs ok I think if you wait for the right buyer you could get about two grand here (maybe a bit more depending on the buyer), to a friend I would suggest $1200 maybe. The 400 is a lot harder to find here than the 250 so if you find someone who really wants the 400 you can get whatever they are willing to pay. If you sell it to a friend just let it go as is and they can give it some love. If you want to get some more cash for it get it all running nice first: clean carbs,sync carbs,do valve clearances, tune up, just get it running real nice and it will sell easier. And give it a real good clean first impressions make a huge difference.

So in a nut shell between $1200 and $2500 imo (depending who you sell it to and what you will do to it prior to selling). As is I definatly wouldn't let it go for less than $1200 myself, to a friend or whoever. If you put that up on gumtree for $1200 you will sell it within a week easy, maybe even a few days. I would gun for a more at first then drop the price if you don't get any interest. It looks to be in quite good condition.

Last edited:
Don't listen to Greasey - he is a lunatic. The bike is worth about $500 but I will generously give you $900 for it. :D

Seriously tho, depending on the km's it would be a fair sale for around $1,600 - $2,200.

Cheers.

Posted via Mobile

lol, il give you $950 but you will need to deliver it to melbs. Pork chops on the money with the value, he would know your local market better than me too.

I got mine for 2k with a few spares, the guy had it listed on gumtree for 1800 and had about 250 views on his ad in 8 hours, one guy offered him 1800 that day but I beat his price, and it wasnt as pretty as yours, brakes needed rebuilding and no rego. Realistically I paid a few hundred more than i should have but they are pretty much never on ebay or gumtree. If it had rego and was in good nic I think you could stretch it to a little over 3k. I mean ive seen xs250's for $2500 kz400's and cb450 twins are also going for a pretty penny now. When I finish my build i'm going to slap it on gumtree straight away to see if I can get some bondi hipster to pay stupid money for it.

Hi everyone,

Thanks heaps for pork chops and greasy fingers your replies! That's awesome I now know what a fair price is for him!

I found it on the side of the road a long time when I was still in highschool, I paid 2K for it but it was registered and untouched (ie. no-one put stupid clip-ons that didn't fit haha).

It's nice to know if my mate ends up not buying it I have options, haha I don't know about Melbourne though!

"Bondi hipster" - haha!

If the sale with your friend doesnt go ahead let us know!! Im not far away at newy and would be very interested, haha have a few mates that would be too

Hey Lou, Aussies are quite proud of being able to trace their ancestry back to which convict ship they were on.

Chris, you would understand why some people can sell old motorcycles at such high prices once you have seen to amount of people on the streets of Sydney wearing their girlfriends jeans while riding on a $3,000 fixie bicycle. Google Bondi Hipster. :D

Posted via Mobile

Back