How to Add an inline Fuel Filter

petei

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I know it is an easy job but I was uncertain about acouple of thing when I did it so I though I'd write up a How to for those who know as much as me (i don't know much :))
If there is anything i should change or add please let me know.

Here is the link to my new blog
http://2lessthan4.blogspot.ca/2012/04/how-to-add-inline-fuel-filter.html

Here is the how to

Step 1
Look at you existing fuel line and think about what would be the easiest filter to add, one that has an angle of straigh one

Step 2
GO buy the stuff. Get extra line.

Step 3
Turn the Petcock to the "Reserve" or "ON". take off the old line, some gas will leak out of theline but it will be very little.

NOTE: "Reserve" and "ON" positions on the Petcock only flow when the engine is running (they are vacuum fed from the Carbs.. see that short little hose coming out of the back of the Petcock that provided the vacuum.) The Prime position allows it to flow by gravity which is useful for when you empty the Carbs for servicing and need to refill them before starting the Bike.

Step 4
Measure...Twice. I measured the first segment put it on the Filter then attached the rest of the hose to the other end and made a note of where to cut then cut it.
REMEMBER: there is an arrow on the filter showing which way the Gas should flow. Gas Flows from the gas tank through the petcock to the carbs.

IT IS HARD to remove the hose from the filter so make the line little long and trim the extra off before you put it on the bike.

Step 5
Slide clamps onto hose now. Put it on the Bike. Secure the Clamps and turn the petcock to "Prime". watch the filter fill with fuel, when it is full turn the petcock back to "ON".

Step 6
Enjoy

Attachments

• UyonF.jpg
    UyonF.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,614
  • akd0S.jpg
    akd0S.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,815
That's how you do it. Inline filters are pretty self explanitory. However I will add that some of them have an "in" and "out" side and won't work right if they're backwards.
I don't rock one personally, I like to keep my tank clean.:thumbsup:

Very nice. The DOHC Maxim in particular benefits from this. The tank in some places sits lower than the petcock, and those low spots tend to rust. Keeping the tank clean is nearly impossible, so an added filter is helpful. As an advantage, you a clear filter also lets you see exactly when the fuel is flowing if you're ever stuck troubleshooting.

Sounds like a a good added precaution - I think I want one.
Could you clarify a couple of things for me?
Your narrative mentions clamps but I don't see any in the photo. Can I assume that was to show better how the lines are cut and installed? If so, do you use a clamp at every join (4)?
Any reason not to cut a piece out of the existing line and simply use it?
Thanks.

I actually haven't put the clamps on yet. i have them and they are going on tonight. but yes 4 clamps. The clamps are more of an extra precaution than a necessity, but they are cheap and "better safe then sorry".

I changed the hose because mine was old and bad, but you could technically use the same hose.

Everything cost me under 10$ and it is a good idea to cut a piece of new hose the length of your old one and keep it with your tool kit in case anything ever gets plugged (at least that is what i do)

Thanks petei. I now live in fear of having fouled carbs after reading forums and talking to veteran riders with more experience. Maybe ignorance was bliss.
Failing that, avoiding ethanol, using fresh gas and keeping the tank full was working (so far) on my sr250 single, but now, with 2 carbs to worry about, maybe a filter and a spare length of hose will dampen my added paranoia.

My friend with the old Porche racer told me that Shell 91 was ethanol free since Shell had made some sort of commitment to racers and owners of Ferraris etc. He claimed that the oil companies had to have 5% or more ethanol in total - which meant that a company had the option to put more of it in its 87/89 grades and less (or none) in its 91. So I emailed Shell and this is what I received in return:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Indeed we do offer free ethanol fuel. Our Shell V-Power (91 Octane) contains NO Ethanol. The only grades with Ethanol are Shell Regular gas with up to 10% Ethanol and Shell Midgrade with up to 5 %. "

I know some companies put ethanol in all 3 grades and others are deliberately non-committal. I haven't written to them all but I rarely pass a Shell station now.

interesting, i had no idea that everything had ethenol in it these days i'll have to look into what the gas is like in BC and Quebec.

Ethanol-free gas?
Good to know ...
I got curious and eventually emailed 3 other companies. SHELL is the simplest - and they sticker the 91 pumps to show no Ethanol. PetroCan does offer it at some stations, but you need a program.
The others don't offer it.
If anyone is interested, here is what I got back:

1. Husky adds ethanol to almost all of its gasoline sold across Canada. I say almost all, as there may be the odd location where a gasoline not containing ethanol is sold, due to the difficulty in sourcing ethanol blended gasoline.

2. Thank you for your email. We have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department. All grades of Pioneer fuel (silver, gold and platinum) contain up to 10% ethanol.

3. Ethanol is only present in Petro-Canada Regular Clean 87 Octane (10%) and Plus Clean 89 Octane (5%). Petro-Canada SuperClean 91 Octane gasoline does not contain any Ethanol.

Ethanol content in SuperClean 94 or Ultra 94 is 10%.

Because of the two offerings we have out in the market place, Sunoco stations that were converted to Petro-Canada branded sites, sell Ultra 94 which means all grades of gasoline have a maximum of 10% ethanol in the 4 grades of fuel (RegularClean 87, PlusClean 89, SuperClean 91 and Ultra 94).

At the existing Petro-Canada stations, only 3 grades of fuel are available (RegularClean 87, PlusClean 89, SuperClean 91). At these sites the only fuel that does not contain ethanol is the SuperClean 91.

However we are now adding Ultra 94 to a lot of these sites where it was never sold.

Please be aware that only sites that do not sell Ultra 94, will the SuperClean 91 have no ethanol in the fuel. RegularClean 87 and PlusClean 89 will contain ethanol.

More Ethanol-Free Gas.

The other companies all replied within hours. Better late than never, Imperial (ESSO) finally got around to me. Note that it is a form reply, written to respond to green people seeking out ethanol, not to those who might seek to avoid it.
My mechanic friend says I should not worry about regular grade gas when I am riding regularly and using up the gas quickly. He definitely recommends using ethanol-free when putting it away for winter or in advance of any planned down time.
Here is the belated ESSO offering:

"Our regular unleaded gasoline at selected locations contains 10% ethanol (ERUL or E10). Our premium unleaded gasoline does not contain ethanol.
Midgrade gasoline at locations with E10 and blender pumps contain 5% ethanol (midgrade is a blend of regular and premium).

Only some provinces offer ethanol. Pumps at stations that do offer ethanol have stickers that clearly state, "May contain up to 10% ethanol".

For more information on ethanol and fuel performance, you may visit the websites below:

www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/products_fuels_fuel.aspx

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pages/ethanol-facts-engine-performance"​

Hey Petei, I've been referred to this post by Lou Ranger, I've got an '83 Maxim so it should be pretty compatible. Question: What gauge tubing did you get to put in with the filter?

Thanks! Laters,

Hey Petei, I've been referred to this post by Lou Ranger, I've got an '83 Maxim so it should be pretty compatible. Question: What gauge tubing did you get to put in with the filter?
Hey "Joe", Petei may still be otherwise occupied so maybe I can help. The $3 filter is labelled 1/4" and it fit very snugly as you can see from the pic of mine above (#13).
Turned out my PO had replaced the line at some point so rather than take it all apart, I simply cut into it, removed just under 1" and then inserted the filter. The 12" piece of clear fuel line is now in my tool bag for emergencies - purchased at the local CarQuest auto parts store, 97¢ with tax.

Agreeing with lou ranger. Just did this recently. got a 2 or 3$ inline filter(its transparent, upside down funnel design with a 'gold' looking filter inside. Then I got a foot of 1/4 inch(6.4mm?) fuel line and a couple of those spring clamps. You pinch there ends together to open them, and release them to 'seal' them onto the line.

I removed all the line. Put on main line to petcock, roughly fitted the petcock, cut the lines, added clamps, and go.

20 minutes.

so where the heck can i get the filter?
Well, I'm old-school and prefer to deal with a person over a counter if the price is the same. I went to a motorcycle accessory shop in town and ordered the filter along with the 17T front sprocket and the small leather fork bag. As long as I was willing to wait 3-5 days, it was cheaper than ordering on-line since there's no shipping charges. He just ads it to his bi-weekly order.
I imagine a dealer's parts counter would have them also but I would bet they would be overpriced there.

Back