1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

I Flooded My Seca Last Night (Doh! Oil Change?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by robindean, Jul 7, 2014.

1. robindean

robindean XS400 Addict

Hi all,

I walked into my garage today to the lovely scent of evaporated gasoline. It seems I left my (standard/replacement) petcock open over night and completely flooded the bowls, etc.

A friend told me that sort of thing can lead to fuel in the oil and that I should change it out.

Yes? No?

2. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Yes, it can. Is your oil level higher than before?

3. robindean

robindean XS400 Addict

I'll find out tonight at the garage ... stay tuned.

It was on ALL night and a lot of the next day, so I'm not optimistic.

Assuming I need to change it out, should I even run it to warm up? I get the sense that that'd be bad.

4. Lou Ranger

Lou Ranger Former xs400 Luddite Top Contributor

I've read on here a couple of times that if the oil doesn't smell of gasoline when you open the oil fill cap, then it evaporated into the air but didn't overflow like when a float gets stuck.
    Don't know if that's the case though, but if so, you might luck out.

If it smells of gas in there, then even I know - definitely, you need to change it.