idle mix screw - short version

chkm8

XS400 Student
Reaction score
So I will be rejetting for the new exhaust and pods this weekend and I was looking for the idle mix screw. Apparently mine have recessed screw way down in the carb. It doesn't look like they can be adjusted, the manual says they are non adjustable. 2 questions - 1. Can they be replaced with the longer version that is easier to get to? 2. If not, can they be adjusted while the carbs are still on the bike and running? Disclaimer for Volcom - I did do a few searches and couldn't find the answer prior to posting :)

Carefully drill the aluminum plug over the screw and pry the plug out- then even though it is recessed, you can adjust it.

All of the above plus buy a new set of mixture screws and o-rings - if you have the Keihin brand carbs. The o-rings are very small and are at the bottom of each screw. Save yourself heartache concerning proper idle and low speed performance. The o-rings deteriorate over the years and leak air leaning out the mixture. Adjust screws to 3 - 3.5 FULL turns out. Replacements can be bought from MikesXS.

Back