ignition cover leak help?

volcomskater77

XS400 Chopophile
Top Contributor
Reaction score
so we got the bike to fire AND RUN today. woot! but while it was running, oil was pouring out of the points cover, onto the fins, and onto the exhaust wrap. causing it to smoke. a lot. like way more than fresh exhaust wrap should. i took off the cover, ad leveled it out with emery cloth. tried it again, and the same thing happened. but hey, im glad its only leaking there, and not anywhere else after the full rebuild! lol heres some pics.

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

any idears as to what it could be or how to fix it? (aside from usig RTV? gasket is brand new.

I have the same oil leak on mine. there is an oil seal behind the points and the advance unit, on the cam shaft end
http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...NER/parts.html
Arclight88 gave me the link # 11
No oil should enter into the points cover, so replacing the cover gasket is usless
hope that helped!!
Just thought that maybe coming from the valve cover also, but if its coming out of the points cover, most likely the cam oil seal

Take the cover off and clean those rubber knobby things then look for oil maybe.
They are the rocker arm plugs in the points housing. part 15 here
VALVE_ROCKER_ARM.png

the points cover supposed to leak as it has a cut out under neath ( well mine does) stops condensation I suppose and it seems to also tell you the cam seal is leaking too :)

sweet..... now i gotta take apart the top end. right after i got it running decent lol
thanks for the help guys. ill look into it this weekend. logan, that link doesnt work :(

don't need to totally strip it.

take out the contacts/triggers and you can see the cam seal.

just loosen the cam cover and draw off the seal. replace and tighten back the cam cover.

Page 5 in the garage, oil seal help, started by me, there is a link to the seal. they say its discontinued but if you search i bet you could find it. sorry thats the best I could do! I did end up using some RTV on mine, also on the small rubber buggers aswell, worked like a charm!( Im cheap, and have no acsess to those kind of parts, I live in the middle of nowhere!)

I know.... I get worked rite out clicking to page 5, my finger is so sore!
You just asked for a #, and I told you where to find it... Its not hard to scrol and click!:doh:

Curses mine is doing the same thing. Anyone got a part number for an sohc?

1980 you say? Looks like the link from Logan says 93102-23190 which you found. You can plug that part # in search-engine and find http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-93102-23190-00.html

Also search this forum for good place to find the right "seal kit", might be a good idea to have other seals for possible leaks in future. one on ebay for $35
crank case seals, clutch pushrod seal, kickstart seal, shift-shaft seal and tachometer seal

Back