Installing kick start on an 82 xs400J with e start only?

omnideuce

82 xs400J
Reaction score
Can i do this? Has anyone else done it already? I would really like to have a kickstart on the bike for those times where it doesn't feel like cranking.

I don't think our DOHC design ever incorporated the internal workings which would allow one to attach a kick start lever. When electric start became all the rage, manufacturers sometimes shipped older designs with no kick start and cover plates. Cheaper and a bit lighter, but an owner could always pop the plate and install the workings if he wanted.

We, on the other hand are victims of modern 1982 technology. :shrug:
You'll be fine riding with a weak battery though - as long as you always park at the top of the hill. :wink2:

yeah, i can always bump start it. That sucks that it doesn't have the internal workings, thanks.
I don't know that it doesn't or that there isn't a kit or a way to do it. I've just never heard of it. I'd be curious to see what really knowledgeable people have to offer before giving up entirely.

Actually I had the same idea, just bought a salvage 82 xs400 maxim and was hoping to go with a capacitor instead of battery~

These are e-start only and need a battery to run the ignition also.

Back