Intake manifold questions and comments

Drewpy now you have me thinking. I think I'm going to have to use aluminum for the vacuum lines or there will be a galvanic reaction between the aluminum and the copper/brass. They are highly reactive. Glad you said something I hadn't considered it. Aluminum will be fine in that application.

Shaun

I think Mikuni et al, would have used Alu if it caused probelms, the reason they use brass is that it must be more stable near heat applications

All of the brass fittings on the stockers are pressed in; I think the reaction he is talking about applies to trying to weld them together.

Now you've all got me thinking about why brass fittings are used. I can't really find anything for information, but I have to imagine it's because it doesn't rust and is soft enough to easily produce tight fittings in an aluminum body.

Brass melts a good 500 degrees (F) above aluminum, but even aluminum can take 1200 F.

Hey guys

I'm not worried about how the aluminum will stand up to the heat of the engine. It already has alot of aluminum and aluminum is highly conductive like copper and brass.

The reaction I was talking about is the natural reaction for dissimilar metals to corrode when they come into contact. Since they are not of the same type you can't easily weld them together. You can weld things like steel to stainless because they are both iron based. You just have to pick the right filler rod. Brass is stronger the copper due to being alloyed with zinc it also doesn't tarnish like copper normally would.

Aluminum should be a good match The flange is already aluminum so making th vacuum fitting aluminum shouldn't be an issue.

Shaun

MikesXS.com sells a billet aluminum boot. The only difference is the vacuum/sync port is not on the aluminum. You could tap them to have a sync port but I haven’t really found any other reason why you would need them beside to do a dynamic sync.

When syncing carbs you need to do it at idle and the bike warm. If you don't have any ports this can't be done. There are gauges that go directly into the mouth of the carbs but I don't think they would fit into the space and you should have all the intake/air boxes hooked up when doing this. If you want a good running bike a sync is a must.

Well I finally got my intakes back from laser cutting thought I would throw up a couple pictures. I'll probably be able to get one welded up this weekend. Still waiting on rubber hose for the boots. Wanted to get Viton tubing but I'm buying such a small amount that no one will talk to me for pricing. Moving onto large nitrile fuel transfer line hopefully I'll have it order tomorrow.

Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. I cut both designs. I'm kinda partial to my own one piece design.

Shaun

My one piece will only work on a large scale if the center to center distance on the intake ports is the same for all bikes. SOHC only I don't have a DOHC to measure off of

Hey, any chance you have a .dxf or .dwg file for the flange you would want to share?

Back